Frequently Asked Questions:


Where Do I get a FAFSA?

The quickest way to apply is online using FAFSA on the Web at FAFSA. You may also go to Federal Student Aid and download a PDF version of the FAFSA or call 1-800-4-FED-AID to request a paper application.

What if I don't think I will qualify for federal aid?

Apply anyway! More and more students are qualifying for federal aid options, and almost everyone is eligible for some form of assistance.

What is an EFC?

Your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) represents how much you/your family can afford to pay towards your education for the academic year. It is calculated from the information that is submitted on your FAFSA. This number is used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid.

What is WSU's code for the FAFSA?

WSU's code is 001950.

What if I did not code WSU on my original application for financial aid?

If you did not code WSU on your FAFSA and WSU does not appear on your SAR, call the Central Processing Center at (800) 4FED-AID (800-433-3243) and request that WSU (001950) be added to your FAFSA, or log back online at FAFSA and select "Add School," under the School Selection option.

What if my application is rejected or I need to make corrections?

You must review your Student Aid Report (SAR) to correct this situation. Using your Personal Identification Number (PIN), review your SAR to make the necessary corrections and resubmit it to the Federal Processing Center. Any changes or corrections can be made on-line at FAFSA.

I just received a Student Aid Report (SAR). What do I do with it?

After you apply for federal student financial aid, you'll get your FAFSA results in an email report within a few days after your FAFSA has been processed or by mail within a few weeks. Your SAR is a summary of the financial and other information you reported on the FAFSA. Read the SAR and check it for accuracy. If there are no corrections, keep it for your records. If you need to make corrections, do so and submit the SAR online. Your SAR will contain your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is the number that is used to determine your eligibility for federal student aid, so it is important to review the SAR for accuracy.

A copy of your SAR containing your EFC score must be submitted with your Osher Scholar application.

Osher Application:

If I receive the Osher Reentry Scholarship for one semester, does it mean I automatically get it for the next semester?

As long as you are in good standing with the program and the university and are still pursuing your first bachelors degree you should be eligible for continued funding. See the sponsor for details.

How many scholarships are given?

There are 20 or more scholarships available depending on part-time vs. full-time status of the class of scholars.

What does the Osher award cover?

The Osher Reentry Scholarship is for tuition only.

When will I know the results of my application?

All applicants will be notified of their status within 4 weeks of the application deadline.

Will you notify my hometown paper that I have been given this scholarship?

Information will be available if you wish to assist the program sponsor in contacting your hometown paper.

What do I have to do to continue to receive the scholarship?

You must maintain the criteria stated in the scholarship agreement and be in good standing with the University.

What do you mean by academic promise?

Academic promise is demonstrated by returning to the University and a commitment to obtaining your degree.

What is the deadline for mailing my application?

All application materials must be received by 5 p.m. on the following due dates for consideration. (Apply early for full consideration. A minimum of 20 scholarships will be offered for the academic year.)

Fall priority deadline July 1
Spring priority deadline
December 1
What if I can't get my materials in by the 5 p.m. deadline?

You should consider applying for the next academic year with the understanding that scholarships are offered only if funding is available.

Who should I contact if I have questions?

For questions regarding the Osher Reentry Scholarship you can fill out the Ask a Question form or contact:

Osher Scholarship Program
ATTN: Office of Online and Adult Learning
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount, Box 208
Wichita, KS 67260-0208
T: (316) 978-8325

Osher Eligibility:

If I already have a bachelor's degree, but I am pursing another degree (bachelor's or masters) can I apply for this scholarship?

No. The Osher Reentry Scholarship is for those pursuing their first bachelors degree only.

What do you mean by "cumulative gap" in your education?

Cumulative gap means if you have been out of school between high school and returning to college with a total of five years in gaps between coursework. This can be one gap of five years, or multiple gaps that add up to five or more years.

I am transferring from a community college. Am I eligible to apply?

Yes, as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.

I plan on only returning to school part-time. Can I apply?

Yes, as long as you meet the other eligibility requirements. Part-time scholars maintain between 6 and 11 credit hours per semester. Full -time enrollment is for 12 credit hours or more.

I am an international student. Can I apply?

Not if you are visiting the United States with the intention of returning to your country of origin after graduation.

Can I be a fully online student?

Yes. You cannot be a fully online student and be eligible per the Osher Foundation.