1. Apply Early!
- The visa wait time in many countries can be several weeks so apply early. | Visa Wait Times
- Apply for a visa up to 120 days before the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019.
- Pay the SEVIS Fee
- How to Apply for an F-1 Visa or J-1 Visa
2. Documents Required for a Visa Interview
- Required Documents for a Visa
- Your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate may require additional documentation.
3. During the Visa Interview
- Most visa interviews are only about 3 minutes long.
- During the interview, be honest, friendly, and organized.
- You must convince the visa officer that you are not trying to immigrate to the U.S.
- Be prepared to explain what companies in your country that you would like to work for after you finish your studies in the U.S. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER say that you would like to get permanent residency and remain in the U.S. after you graduate.
- Visa officers often ask why you chose a specific major, why you chose to study at
Wichita State, or why you chose to study in Wichita. You must be prepared to answer
Information About Wichita State
Information About Your Major
Information About the City of Wichita
4. Reasons for Visa Denials
The most common reasons for visa denials are:
- The visa officer suspected the student of wanting to immigrate to the U.S. You must
prove to the visa officer that you plan to return home after graduation. Examples
* Owning a house or business in your country
* Having a guaranteed job when you return home
* Having a spouse, children, or close family at home
* You will inherit property, a business, or assets in your country
* Have admission to a major that will allow you to get a job when you return home. For example, if you major in Aerospace Engineering, an aerospace industry must exist in your country so that you can find a job after you graduate.
- You do not have enough money to study in the U.S.
- You did not bring all required documents with you to the U.S. Embassy for the interview.
- You lied about something on your visa application or during the visa interview.
- You failed a security background check (called "Administrative Processing)
5. Help! I Was Denied a Visa!
- Visa Denial Help
- If you are denied a visa and would like to try again, you may need to request readmission for a future term and get a new I-20.
- No university in the U.S. can control the outcome of a visa application. We cannot require the embassy to grant you a visa or influence their decision in any way.