Advising Services for International Students
International Student Services (ISS) offers two types of immigration advising to F-1 students:
International Student Advisors advise students who have quick immigration-related questions that take from 5-10 minutes to resolve. If you think we may need more time that this to answer your question, or you don't have time to wait for an advisor to become available, we ask that you schedule an advising appointment instead of visiting during walk-in hours.
Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. you can either:
- visit the Garvey International Center
- call (316) 978-3232 option 2 (you will receive a call back when an advisor becomes available)
- One or two OPT (Optional Practical Training) questions (if you have already taken the OPT tutorial and you didn't find the answer there)
- One or two STEM OPT questions (if you have already taken the STEM OPT Extension tutorial and you didn't find the answer there)
- CPT (Curricular Practical Training) form request
- Dependent I-20 questions
- Drivers License questions
- Final Semester Reduced Course Load authorization form requests
- I-515A issuances
- Social Security questions
- Transfer questions
- Travel questions
- Submitted forms will not be processed during the appointment, and will be processed in the order in which they are received. During peak times, this may be two to three business days.
- Unlike many academic advising offices, students are not assigned to a specific advisor, so during walk-in advising, you will see the advisor on duty.
- Students will be served on a first come, first served basis.
- International Student Services does not handle any admissions or transfer credit questions.
International Student Advisors advise students who have more complex issues that can't be answered during walk-in advising.
- Appointments are made Monday through Thursday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- To schedule your appointment with an International Student Advisor, call (316) 978-3232 option 2.
- Reinstatement (both the initial discussion about how to apply and the filing appointment)
- Change of Status (both the initial discussion about how to apply and the filing appointment)
- OPT (Optional Practical Training) filing
- Take the OPT tutorial before scheduling your appointment and come prepared with the correct documents and photocopies listed in the tutorial.
- STEM OPT Extension filing
- Please note that because so many of our students on OPT no longer live in Wichita, our process has been designed to assist students by email, so an appointment is not required.
- Take the STEM OPT Extension tutorial before scheduling your appointment and come prepared with the correct documents and photocopies listed in the tutorial.
- Other status issues
- Program issues
- Other immigration-related questions for students who can't come during walk-in advising
- Unlike many academic advising offices, students are not assigned to a specific advisor, so you are free to choose an appointment time that best fits your schedule.