TB Testing, Vaccinations, and Routine Medical Care

Wichita State University requires all students to be screened for tuberculosis (TB). TB testing is done using a Quantiferon blood test (QFT).  Most students purchase medical insurance through Wichita State.  The cost of TB testing is fully covered by the insurance policy through Wichita State. Please note, however, that if you purchase medical insurance through a different company, you will be responsible to pay any amount not covered by your insurance company.  For additional information about the TB Testing requirement for students at Wichita State University, please visit Student Health Services.

You are not required to get a medical check-up before coming to the U.S. You are also not required to get any particular vaccines (unless you live in one of the residence halls). We do recommend, however, that you receive whatever routine medical care that you feel is important before coming to the U.S. If you have a previous medical condition that requires continued treatment in Wichita, we recommend that you bring a copy of your medical records with you.

If you plan to live in one of Wichita State University’s residence halls, you must be vaccinated for meningitis. We recommend that you get the meningitis vaccine before coming to the U.S. If you get the vaccine in your country, you must bring proof of your vaccination with you to the U.S. If desired, you may get the meningitis vaccine from Student Health Services. If you purchase medical insurance through WSU, you will not be charged for the vaccine.