Rhatigan Student Center is the social, dining, retail and entertainment hub of the Wichita State University campus.
During the early days of Fairmount College, student organizations — such as Men of Webster (now Delta Upsilon fraternity), Sorosis (now Delta, Delta, Delta sorority), YWCA, and YMCA — were assigned club rooms in Fairmount Hall. After Fairmount Hall burned, groups were assigned to Jardine Hall. One of the first goals of the Municipal University of Wichita (1926-1964) was creating space designed specifically for student social life. This was finally achieved in 1936 with the opening of the Auditorium and Commons Building, currently known as Wilner Auditorium.
WU quickly outgrew 'The Commons' and in 1946 the student government began collecting a $3 per semester student fee to fund a new student union. Opened in May 1959, the Campus Activities Center contained expanded space for recreation, food service, plus a ballroom and a bookstore. After significant growth following the formation of Wichita State University, the CAC expanded on the south, including the freestanding Campus Activities Center Theater that opened in the 1968-69 school year.
In 1997, the Campus Activities Center was renamed the Rhatigan Student Center in recognition of long time Dean of Students and Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. James Rhatigan.
In 2010, the university received approval for a complete overhaul of the RSC that included renovation of approximately 80 percent of the building to add lounges, meeting and dining areas, expand the ballroom, update technology infrastructure and add an outdoor stage for activities and events. The building reopened in August 2014 and will be dedicated on Sept. 15, 2014.