Atri Dutta is an Associate Professor in the Department of Aerospace Engineering. His research and teaching interests in the areas of astrodynamics, control theory, mission design and optimization. His research projects have encompassed a variety of topics within astrodynamics: trajectory optimization framework development for spacecraft with solar-electric propulsion, mission design for flying a neutrino detector in space, artificial neural network assisted trajectory design, CubeSat constellation design, all-electric satellites, and on-orbit servicing. He is a member of Wichita Space Initiative and an affiliated faculty of WSU's Space Science Graduate Certificate Program. He currently directs Disaster Resilience and Analytics Center, one of WSU's convergent science teams. He serves as a Faculty Advisor of the WSU student organization Wichita State Rocket Club. He is a Senior Member of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and serves on the Astrodynamics Technical Committee of the professional society.
- Optimal control
- Mission design and optimization
- Machine learning applications in astronautics
- Remote sensing
- Space dynamics
- Control system
- Nanosatellite engineering
Underlined students have been directly supervised by Atri Dutta.
15) A. Hassaan, P. Chadalavada, A. Munir, A. Dutta, M. Qureshi, "Design of deep neural networks for transfer time prediction of spacecraft electric orbit-raising," Elsevier Intelligent Systems with Applications, Vol. 15, 2022, Article no. 200092. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iswa.2022.200092
14) P. Chadalavada, A. Dutta, "Regional CubeSat Constellation Design to Monitor Hurricanes," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 60, pp. 1-8, 2022, Article no. 1001608. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9600833
13) P. Chadalavada, T. Farabi, A. Dutta, "Sequential Low-Thrust Orbit-Raising of All-Electric Satellites," MDPI Aerospace, Special Issue on Electric Propulsion, Vol 7(6), No 74, pp. 1-27. https://doi.org/10.3390/aerospace7060074
12) S. Sreesawet, A. Dutta, “Fast and Robust Computation of Low-Thrust Orbit-Raising Trajectories,” AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol 41, No 9, pp. 1888-1905. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.G003319
11) Y. Zhao, A. Dutta, P. Tsiotras, M. Costello, ”Optimal Aircraft Trajectories for Wind Energy Extraction,” AIAA Journal of Guidance, Dynamics and Control, Vol. 41, No. 2 (2018), pp. 488-496. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.G003048
10) A. Tummala, A. Dutta, “An Overview of Cube-Satellite Propulsion Technologies and Trends,” MDPI Aerospace 2017, 4(4), 58, pp. 1–30. https://doi.org/10.3390/aerospace4040058
09) A. Dutta, J. Kasdin, E. Choueiri and P. Francken, "Minimizing Proton Displacement Damage Dose During Electric Orbit-Raising of Satellites," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, 39:4, 963-969. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.G000503
08) B. Du, Y. Zhao, A. Dutta, J. Yu, X. Chen, “Optimal scheduling of multi-spacecraft refueling based on cooperative maneuver,” Elsevier Advances in Space Research, Vol 55, No 12, pp. 2808–2819. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2015.02.025
07) P. Libraro, N. J. Kasdin, E. Choueiri, A. Dutta, "Quaternion-Based Coordinates for Non-Singular Modeling of High-Inclination Orbital Transfer," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, Vol 37, No 5, pp. 1638-1643. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.G000613
06) S. Coene, F. Spieksma, A. Dutta and P. Tsiotras, "On the Computational Complexity of P2P Refueling Strategies," INFOR: Information Systems and Operations Research, Vol 50, No 2, 2012, pp 88-94. https://doi.org/10.3138/infor.50.2.088
05) A. Dutta, N. Arora, and R. Russell, "Peer-to-Peer Refueling Strategy using Low-Thrust Propulsion," AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol 49, No 5, 2012, pp 944-954. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.A32106
04) A. Dutta and P. Tsiotras, "A Network Flow Formulation for Cooperative P2P Refueling Strategies," AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, 33(5), 2010, pp. 1539- 1549. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.45570
03) A. Dutta and P. Tsiotras, "Hohmann-Hohmann and Hohmann-Phasing Cooperative Rendezvous Maneuvers," AAS Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, 57, 2009, pp. 393—417. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03321510
02) A. Dutta and P. Tsiotras, "An Egalitarian Peer-to-Peer Satellite Refueling Strategy," AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 45 (3), 2008, pp. 608-618. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.31299
01) A. Dutta and P. Tsiotras, "Asynchronous Optimal Mixed Peer-to-Peer Satellite Refueling Strategies," AAS Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, Vol. 54 (3-4), Dec 2006, 543-565. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03256505
- CubeSat formation design to monitor hurricanes (Co-author: Chadalavada).
- Adaptive algorithm for computing low-thrust orbit-raising trajectories (Co-author: Chadalavada).
- Repeating ground track orbit design (Co-author: Chadalavada).
- Preliminary mission design for NuSol probe (Co-authors: Messick, Solomey, Meyer, Christl).
- Adjoint sensitivity augmented optimization for low-thrust orbital transfers (Co-author: Arustei).
- Adaptive attitude control and formation synchronization (Co-authors: Subedi, Steck, Sreesawet).
2020-Current, Associate Professor, Aerospace Engineering, Wichita State University
2014-2020, Assistant Professor, Aerospace Engineering, Wichita State University
2018-2020, Visiting Faculty, Air Force Research Laboratory, Rome NY
2011-2013, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Princeton University
2009-2011, Research Engineer II, Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Dwane and Velma Wallace Excellence in Research Award, College of Engineering, Wichita State University, 2023.
- AIAA Outstanding Section Award, Third Place, Small Category, 2022 (received as the Chair of Wichita Section during 2021 - 2022).
- Excellent Reviewer, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, 2016, 2019–2022.
- Member, Sigma Gamma Tau, National Aerospace Engineering Honor Society.
- Outstanding Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 2017.
- Brenton Myers Innovation in Engineering Education Award, Wichita State University College of Engineering, 2017
University Research/Creativity Award, 2020.
- Award for Research/Creative Projects in Summer, 2017.
- Multidisciplinary Research Project Award, 2016 (jointly with Dr. Nick Solomey from Physics)
- CubeSat Space Flight test of a Neutrino Detector, NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts Program (NIAC) Phase III, Role: Co-Investigator (PI: Nick Solomey, Physics WSU)
- Artificial Intelligence Assisted Spacecraft Trajectory Optimization and Planning, Funded by NASA EPSCOR CAN Program, 2020-2023, Role: Science Principal Investigator.
- Continuous Monitoring of Hurricanes using Rain CubeSats, Funded by NASA SMD FINESST Program, 2019-2022, Role: Principal Investigator (Future Investigator: Pardhasai Chadalavada)
- Astrophysics and Technical Lab Studies of a Solar Neutrino Spacecraft Detector, Funded by NASA NIAC Phase II, 2019-2021, Role: Co-Investigator (PI: Nickolas Solomey, Physics WSU)
- Integrated Optimization Framework for Detecting and Characterizing Unobserved Spacecraft Maneuvers, Funded by Extension Grant to Visiting Faculty Research Program, Air Force Research Laboratory, 2019, Role: Principal Investigator.
- Multi-objective Optimization Framework for Spacecraft Low-Thrust Orbit-raising, Funded by Kansas NASA EPSCOR Program Seed Research Initiative, 2014-2015. Role: Primary Investigator
- Enhancing Disaster Literacy of Kansas Communities Through Incorporation Of NASA-Relevant Materials in Middle School Curriculum, NASA Kansas Space Grant Consortium, Role: Co-Principal Investigator, 2022-23 (PI: Rajiv Bagai, School of Computing, WSU).
- Celebrating the Scientific Legacy of NASA and Apollo, Funded by NASA Kansas Space Grant Consortium, 2019, Role: Co-Principal Investigator (Co-organizer of a public symposium, Principal Investigator: James Schwartz, Philosophy WSU).
Faculty Advisor, Wichita State Rocket Club, since 2015
Member, AIAA Wichita Section Council, 2021-Current (Vice-Chair: 2020-21, Chair: 2021-22, Outgoing Chair: 2022-23)
Member, AIAA Astrodynamics Technical Committee, since 2016 (Secretary since 2018): AIAA Technical Chair for 2022 AAS/AIAA Astrodynamics Specialist Conference held at Charlotte NC
Reviewer for a number of journals, including AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics, IEEE Transactions of Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Acta Astronautica and MDPI Aerospace