University of Kansas, Ph.D. 1996
University of KS Medical Center, M.P.H., 1996
University of Kansas, M.A., 1993
Wichita State University, B.A., 1991
Current Instructor: Introduction to Community Psychology, Professional Consultation and Leadership, Leadership Development, Seminar in Prevention, and Community Practicum.
My current research interests are to examine the personal and environmental factors that affect health and development. I am particularly interested in examining the effects of preventive interventions conducted in communities, mental health and the health behaviors of African Americans.
Behavioral Community Research and Action Team: This research team focuses on research and evaluation by collaborating with community-based agencies and organizations to reduce health disparities. Our research team also focuses on adolescent health and development, reducing health disparities and conducing community participatory research. Current Projects Include: Health and well-being among college students, substance abuse prevention, Mental health and suicide among BIPOC (Black Indigenous People of Color). We have conducted evaluations related to Harm reduction, Juvenile Justice, and Integrated Behavioral Health. We use socio-ecological model and culturally responsive evaluation approaches.
Research Interests: Adolescent Health and Development, Reducing Health Disparities, Community Development, Program Evaluation
- Redmond, M., Lewis, R. K., Parker, T., Canare, R., Dickens, D., & Malone, S.(in press). Impact of Culturally Competency on Behavioral Health Disparities for African Americans. American Psychological Association.
- Martin, P., Lewis, R. K., & Guzman, B. (2023). Racial reckoning, resistance, and the revolution: A call to community psychology to move forward. American Journal of Community Psychology: Special Issue.
- Suarez-Balcazar, Buckingham, S., Rusch, D., Charvonia, A., Young, R., Lewis, R., Ford-Paz, R., Tara, M., & Perez, C. (2023) Reproductive Justice for Black, Indigenous, Women of Color: Uprooting Race and Colonialism. Special Issue: American Journal of Community Psychology. DOI: 10:1002/ajcp.12650.
- Malone, S., & Lewis, R. K. (2023). Compassion Fatigue among Spiritual leaders: A pilot study. Journal of Pastoral Care & Counseling. 64-72. DOI: 10.1177/15423050221126099.
- Lewis, R.K., Martin, P., & Guzman, B. (2022). COVID-19 and Vulnerable Populations. Editorial. Journal of Community Psychology: Special Issue. Vol 1.
- Petts, R., Lewis, R. K., Brooks, K., McGill, S., Lovelady, T., Galvez, M., & Davis, E. (2022) Examining patient and provider experiences with integrated care at a community health clinic. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research. 49, 32-49. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11414-021-09764-2.
- Siddiqui, H., Rattani, A., Woods, N., Cure, L., Lewis, R.,K., Twomey, J., Smith-Campbell, & Hill, T. (2021). A survey on Machine and Deep Learning Models for Childhood and Adolescent Obesity. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE Access). 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.31311.38.
- Lewis, R. K. (2021). Mental health issues in crisis: Let’s talk about solutions. Journal of Prevention and Intervention, 49.
- Thomas, G., Lewis, R. K., Brown, K., Maryman, J., LoCurto, J., Ojeda-Leitner, D., Siwierka, J., Dean, A., Bey, A., & Redmond, M. (2020). Breast Cancer Treat Experiences of The Witness Project of Kansas Participants Journal of the National Medical Association
- Crabtree, E., Brest, B., & Lewis, R. K. (2021). An examination of suicidality of African American adolescents at a local and national level. Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community. 49.
- Ojeda-Leitner, D., & Lewis, R. K. (2021). Assessing health-related stereotype threats and mental healthcare experiences among a LGBT sample. Journal of Prevention and Intervention in the Community. 49.