Parents of Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing Students

Here at WSU, we recognize that all students learn differently, and the Office of Disability Services is here to make the transition to a university as smooth as possible. If your student is Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing, we have a variety of ways to help them achieve success at our university. We can provide sign language interpreters, CART services (Communication Access Real-time Translation), notetakers, and whatever else may be needed. Our office will work with your student to determine what works best for them, and then provide that service.

To access these services, your student will need to have an audiogram or statement from an audiologist about the student’s hearing loss, and meet with our assistant director to establish the appropriate resources. Our office will also work with the student’s instructors to ensure the classes, and the materials used in the classes, are accessible as well. If your student needs a sign language interpreter for classes, our office will assign one to them.  You do not need to request an interpreter for your student's classes.

If your student is still in high school, we would encourage a campus visit that would include any accommodations necessary for the student to fully understand all that WSU has to offer. If you are ready to schedule that campus visit, please connect with our Admissions Office at this link -- -- and make sure you request an interpreter or whatever accommodation your student needs to be fully engaged during the visit. Once you let Admissions know your needs, they will contact our office to have everything ready for your visit.

If you have any other questions, please contact Kathy Stewart, our assistant director, either by email at, by phone at 316-461-4116, or by video phone at 316-854-3032.

Please click the button below if you personally need a sign language interpreter.