What Can You Do?
Whether you are looking to socialize with your peers, meet new friends, learn about the LGBTQ+ community or obtain services and support, there are many ways to get involved at Wichita State University! Some of those opportunities are listed below.
Here are a few things any aspiring ally can do!
- Attend one of our Diversity Training sessions or Workshops.
- Add your pronouns to your email signature/business card. Learn more about pronouns and their importance!
- Commit yourself to using inclusive language.
- Encourage others to become a part of Safe Zone.
- Follow (and share) our social media platforms!
- If you are planning an event on campus relevant to the LGBTQ+ community, be sure to tag #WSULGBTQ and #WSUDIVERSITY!
- Respect the desire for secrecy of a person you know to be gay, lesbian, bisexual or any other identification. Do not "out" someone.
- Speak out against statements and jokes that attack LGBTQ+ people. Letting others know that you find anti-LGBTQ+ statements and jokes offensive and unacceptable can go a long away towards reducing bigotry and discrimination.
- Stop by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and learn how you can promote the visibility of the office and the LGBTQ+ community on campus!
- Support policies that bring equity to and give open support to LGBTQ+ issues.
- LGBTQ+ Ambassadors - These students lead the way in representing queer Shockers across campus. They participate in panels, lead discussions, plan events and help coordinate our annual LGBTQ+ events.
- OutReach Support Groups - OutReach provides support groups that aims to provide LGBTQ+ students with a space to connect with others, gain support and learn practical, effective emotional coping skills.
- Spectrum: LGBTQ & Allies - Spectrum is a social/discussion group for the Wichita State University LGBTQ+ community and its allies. It is a great way to meet new people and make friends!
Faculty and Staff
- Be sure to use the "Preferred Name" list for your class rosters.
- Consider asking for the personal pronouns of all students during class introductions.
- Display your Safe Zone Ally and Trans Ally decals that you receive after the completion of Safe Zone LGBTQ+ Training and/or Gender Diversity Training. These decals indicates that, within your office or room, bigotry and discrimination, specifically regarding LGBTQ+ persons, are not tolerated. The decal does not indicate whether or not you are LGBTQ+; it merely states you are an Ally.
- Include LGBTQ+ contributors to your subject in your class material.
- Including an affirming statement and information on the Office of Diversity and Inclusion in your syllabus.
- LGBTQ+ Task Force - Comprised of faculty and staff, the LGBTQ+ Task Force makes ongoing assessment of attitudes and conditions throughout Wichita State University regarding LGBTQ+ issues.
- Wichita Pride - Join the yearly celebrations of Wichita Pride festivities, including the Pride Parade, Drag Show, Picnic, and Festival! Each year pride events are held nationwide in cities large and small, where LGBTQ+ communities can be out and proud. Pride festivals and parades are a celebration of the progress the LGBTQ community has made, but also a time to recognize the distance we still have to go to achieve full equality. Wichita Pride's mission is to organize events to celebrate and unite our diverse community of LGBT+ and allied people in the greater Wichita area.