Image of Kansas Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate K-4, Revision. 11-18. The text on the image reads: “Use the following instructions to accurately complete your K-4 form, then detach the lower portion and give it to your employer. For assistance, call the Kansas Department of Revenue at 785-368-8222. Purpose of the K-4 form: A completed withholding allowance certificate will let your employer know how much Kansas income tax should be withheld from your pay on income you earn from Kansas sources. Because your tax situation may change, you may want to re-figure your withholding each year. Exemption from Kansas withholding: To qualify for exempt status you must verify with the Kansas Department of Revenue that: 1) last year you had the right to a refund of all STATE income tax withheld because you had no tax liability; and 2) this year you will receive a full refund of fil!. ST A TE income tax withheld because you will have no tax liability. Basic Instructions: If you are not exempt, complete the Personal Allowance Worksheet that follows. The total on line F should not exceed the total exemptions you claim under "Exemptions and Dependents" on your Kansas income tax return. NOTE: Your status of "Single" or "Joint" may differ from your status claimed on your federal Form W-4). Using the information from your Personal Allowance Worksheet, complete the K-4 form below, sign it and provide it to your employer. If your employer does not receive a K-4 form from you, they must withhold Kansas income tax from your wages without exemption at the "Single" allowance rate.  Head of household: Generally, you may claim head of household filing status on your tax return only if you are unmarried and pay more than 50% of the cost of keeping up a home for yourself and for your dependent(s).  Non-wage income: If you have a large amount of non-wage Kansas source income, such as interest or dividends, consider making Kansas estimated tax payments on Form K-40ES. Without these payments, you may owe additional Kansas tax when you file your state income tax return.


    Personal Allowance Worksheet Guide

A. Allowance Rate:
If you are a single filer mark “Single”
If you are married and your spouse has income mark “Single”
If you are married and your spouse does not work mark “Joint”

B. Enter “0” or “1” if you are married or single and no one else can claim you as a dependent (entering “0” may help you avoid having too little tax withheld) 

C. Enter “0” or “1” if you are married and only have one job, and your spouse does not work (entering “0” may help you avoid having too little tax withheld) 

D. Enter “2” if you will file head of household on your tax return (see conditions under Head of household above)
E. Enter the number of dependents you will claim on your tax return. Do not claim yourself or your spouse or dependents that your spouse has already claimed on their form K-4 

F: Add lines B through E and enter the total in radio buttons
Enter the date the K4 should be effective
Please enter your first and last name
Please enter your email address
Step 4. Marital _Status_ (allowance rate)
(Select Single Or Joint)
Step 5. Are you considered an Nonresident Alien Tax purposes?*
(Select - Yes - If you should be Taxed as Nonresident Alien(NRA))
Step 6. Enter the number of dependents you want to claim (Nonresident Aliens (NRA) only select 0 or 1)*
Enter the number of dependents you want claim (Non-Resident only select 0 or 1)
Enter any additional amount you want withheld from each paycheck (this is optional)
If you qualify and are eligible to claim Exempt from Kansas State taxes (have no Kansas State Tax liability). Please complete a paper form K4 and return it to the Payroll office in Jardine Hall.