The use of alcohol and other drugs has been a fact of the American way of life since our nation's beginning. Today, substance abuse represents a major problem in American colleges and universities. Indeed throughout history alcohol, in particular, has been used as a source of pleasure, and for some the use of alcohol has been a source of problems.

Tips and Resources for Substance Abuse Prevention!

1. Know what a "drink" is!

Beer, wine, and hard liquor (distilled spirits) all contain alcohol. The following common alcoholic drinks contain equal amounts of alcohol and are considered one (1) standard drink:

  • One mixed drink containing 1.5 fl oz (44 mL) of 80-proof hard liquor, such as gin, whiskey, or rum

  • One 5 fl oz (148 mL) glass of wine

  • One 12 fl oz (355 mL) bottle of beer or wine cooler

Proof is the amount of alcohol in hard liquor or distilled spirits. The percentage of pure alcohol in the hard liquor is usually one-half the proof. For example, a 100-proof liquor is about 50% pure alcohol. Thus, the higher the proof, the more pure alcohol the hard liquor contains.

2. Substance Abuse Counseling

The Counseling and Testing Center at Wichita State offers confidential counseling services at an affordable price. We DO NOT provide court mandated counseling services. We DO provide substance abuse screenings and consultation appointments for alcohol and drug sanctions that may be given due to a Student Conduct and Community Standards sanction. Do learn more about our services please go to our website or call our office at 316-978-3440 to gather more information.

3. Know the WSU Alcohol and Drug Policy

For more informationa about the alcohol and drug policies at Wichita State University please go to the Student Conduct and Community Standards webpage and look at the student handbook. Information related to Alcohol and Drug use on campus is under "Prohibited Conduct". Here is a link to the full PDF of the Student Code of Conduct.

4. Know When and How to Refer a Friend

When to Refer:

  1. When someone tells you that they think they might have a drinking and/or drug problem.
  2. When someone tells you that they have been arrested or written up for an alcohol or drug-related incident
  3. You notice that someone misses early morning or evening classes because of partying or the aftermath of partying.
  4. You notice that someone's mood changes drastically and there is evidence that they have been drinking or using other drugs.

Where to Refer:

  1. Reach out or refer your friend to the WSU Counseling and Testing Center. You can call our office at 316-978-3440 and ask to speak to a counselor about your concerns. We offer free consultaiton to individuals in need and assist in providing resources that are available and may provide assistance.
  2. File a CARE Team concern expressing your concerns. The CARE team will then assess the report and make a decision on appropriate needs and resources to be provided.
  3. See the additional links and resources below that may be of interest.

**Most people do not drink or use other drugs to this point, but it is important to be aware that some people will. Be prepared to take appropriate action.

5. Additional Resources--Web Links

Adult Children of Alcoholics World Service
Alcoholics Anonymous
Drink Calculator
Drug Help
Narcotics Anonymous
Tobacco Information
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism's College Drinking Prevention
Sex, Etc

Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)