Innovation Campus Timeline
This is an exciting time to be part of Shocker Nation! To give you a sense of the pace
of change on our campus, here's a timeline of the remaking of WSU.
(Major building/facility openings in bold)
- Braeburn Golf Course closed to make way for development.
- Wheatshocker Apartments razed to make way for the Experiential Engineering Building.
- Koch Industries and the Fred & Mary Koch Foundation give $3.75 million for a community
makerspace in Experiential Engineering Building. The makerspace would eventually be
named GoCreate, a Koch collaborative.
- Airbus announces plans to relocate its Wichita engineering center to a new 90,000-square-foot
building on campus.
- Plans announced for Braeburn Square, a 20-acre mixed-use development with restaurants,
shops and lodging.
- A four-bay Food Truck Plaza opens near the National Institute for Aviation Research
on WSU's main campus.
- Plans announced for The Flats at WSU, a 112-unit student housing apartment complex.
- Plans announced for a $9.5 million Law Enforcement Training Center in partnership
with the city of Wichita and Sedgwick County. The facility would house WSU's Criminal
- Experiential Engineering Building opens.
- Airbus Americas Engineering holds a grand opening its new facility.
- Dassault Systemes holds a ribbon-cutting for its 3DExperience Center.
- GoCreate makerspace holds its grand opening.
- YMCA and Wichita State announce partnership for a new student wellness center and
fitness facility on campus.
- A free-standing Starbucks opens. First building in Braeburn Square development.
- The Flats at WSU opens.
- The Law Enforcement Training Center opens.
- Partnership Building 2 opens with Spirit AeroSystems and FirePoint Innovations Center
as major tenants.
- The original Pizza Hut building is relocated and reopened as the Pizza Hut Museum.
- Plans for Woolsey Hall, a new home for the Barton School of Business, are announced.
- Wonder, an independent experiential learning school, opens.
- WSU Bookstore opens a satellite location in Braeburn Square development.
- Grand Opening celebration for the Braeburn Square.
- National Institute for Aviation Research Crash Dynamics Lab breaks ground.
- The Suites at WSU, a new residence hall near The Flats at WSU, breaks ground.
- Partnership Building 3 (PB3) breaks ground.
- Journey East Asia Grill announces plans to open in Braeburn Square.
- Fuzzy's Taco Shop opens as the first restaurant tenant in Braeburn Square.
- The National Institute for Aviation Research Advanced Virtual Engineering and Testing
building (AVET) opens.