The history of Wichita State is built upon big ideas and the undaunted dreamers who turned them into reality. From the streets of Wichita to the far corners of space, Shockers have proven time and time again that, at Wichita State, anything is possible.
It was with this in mind that the university set out to create a strategic plan that capitalized on Wichita State's unique DNA in a way that would leave a lasting impact on its students, its city, its region and its world. The resulting document is a blueprint for the university's aspirations of obtaining greater global prominence and a declaration of its intentions to serve as the flag bearer for the future of higher learning.
The following is a brief synopsis of Wichita State University's big audacious plan and what it means to the future of the university and its community.
Ready to Lead
Like many of those who once walked its campus, Wichita State's new strategic plan shoots for the stars and proves that the university's pioneering spirit is alive and well.
At the heart of the new plan are revised vision and mission statements which clearly state the university's desire to chart a new course for higher learning while remaining dedicated to serving as a lifeblood to the region and doing its part to provide the highest quality of life possible to those who call it home.
Wichita State University is internationally recognized as the model for applied learning and research.
The mission of Wichita State University is to be an essential educational, cultural and economic driver for Kansas and the greater public good.
The Ideals Behind the Big Ideas
Honesty, integrity, truthfulness, personal responsibility, collegiality, knowledge creation and education are universal values that have always underlined the culture at Wichita State; however, to accomplish the goals set forth by the strategic plan, the following unique values have been identified as integral to its ultimate success.
- Seizing opportunities
- Success for all stakeholders
- Diversity of culture, thought and experience
- Adaptive approaches
- Positive risk-taking
At the onset of the planning process it was determined that any goal that was developed needed to be bold, audacious and stretch the university to reach greater heights than ever imagined. When all was said and done the following seven goals passed an intensive litmus test and will serve as benchmarks to the university’s ultimate success.
- Guarantee an applied learning or research experience for every student by each academic college.
- Pioneer an educational experience for all that integrates interdisciplinary curricula across the university.
- Capitalize systemically on relevant existing and emerging societal and economic trends that increase quality educational opportunities.
- Accelerate the discovery, creation and transfer of new knowledge.
- Empower students to create a campus culture and experience that meets their changing needs
- Be a campus that reflects—–in staff, faculty and students—–the evolving diversity of society.
- Create a new model of assessment, incentive and reward processes to accomplish our vision and goals.
Wichita State University is excited about its future and is already in the process of writing the next chapter in the history of this great institution. With the successful implementation of its new strategic plan, the university will be redefining the role of higher education while positively impacting the lives of virtually countless individuals around the world.