As the fall 2021 semester begins, the 21 students in the inaugural class of Adelante Scholars have begun their careers as Wichita State University students.
The Adelante Scholarship was established in 2020 through a gift from Gene and Yolanda Camarena. It’s geared toward incoming freshmen and new transfer students. Preference is given to students who are of Black, Hispanic and Latino heritage with a minimum 3.0 grade point average and demonstrated financial need.
“We are excited to have this inaugural class of Adelante Scholars join Wichita State,” said Sheelu Surender, executive director of financial aid and scholarships at Wichita State. “The financial support and mentoring this scholarship provides should help these promising leaders focus on academics and campus involvement rather than being burdened with working full-time to pay for college.”
The Adelante Scholarship supports Wichita State’s priority to provide an accessible and affordable education to Kansans.
“The diversity that this scholarship attracts provides added vibrancy to our campus community,” said Dr. Rick Muma, Wichita State president. “The first 21 scholars bring with them the talent and potential to be the next generation of Kansas leaders.”
The following students are the fall 2021 recipients of the Adelante Scholarship:
- Melisa Alfonso from Hutchinson, Kansas, is studying mechanical engineering.
- Magaly Benitez Castillo from Richardson, Texas, is majoring in pre-physical therapy.
- Zane Clark from Chanute, Kansas, is working toward an accounting degree.
- Alejandro Clavier from Houston is studying filmmaking.
- Jennifer Diaz-Reyes from Topeka is pursuing a nursing degree.
- Carlie Gallegos from Forgan, Oklahoma, is working toward a business degree.
- Kyla Gordon from Arvada, Colorado, is studying entrepreneurship.
- Tyler Hurt from Moore, Oklahoma, is majoring in aerospace engineering.
- Joselynne Lozano Del Angel from Wichita is pursuing a pre-dental hygiene degree.
- Haylee Miller from Kiowa, Kansas, is a pre-medicine major.
- Aaliyah Muthoni from Wichita is working toward an art degree.
- Valeria Paunetto from Wichita is studying social work.
- Iker Pena from Lutcher, Louisiana, is majoring in aerospace engineering.
- Pedro Pina Guerrero from Lyons, Kansas, is a pre-medicine major.
- Yarid Pizarro from Wichita is pursuing a business degree.
- Allison Quintana from Thornton, Colorado, is studying elementary education.
- Aubrey Russell from Prosper, Texas, is majoring in engineering.
- Analuz Smith from Medicine Lodge, Kansas, is working toward a nursing degree.
- Elizabeth Treto from Wichita is undecided.
- Tamia Trotter from Kansas City, Missouri, is majoring in nursing.
- Denazhia Williams from Kansas City, Kansas, is studying psychology.