PALAZOLA & BENMOUSSA SCHOLARSHIP
Congratulations to Mason Bivens, he is the 2017 recipient!
Wichita State University (WSU) Aerospace Engineering (AE) faculty have a proud heritage of working closely with undergraduate students outside the classroom. As a result, students have done amazing things, including working on funded research projects and writing/presenting professional conference papers. The Palazola & Benmoussa Scholarship (P&B Scholarship) is intended to support and engage an outstanding AE undergraduate student in these kinds of opportunities.
P&B Scholarship goals include:
- Finding, supporting, and mentoring a highly motivated, mature, and promising AE student
- Supporting student opportunities to learn by doing, especially at a higher-level
- Inspiring others to engage in similar collaborations and to consider graduate school
A P&B Scholarship supports a student to complete their degree and to work closely with an AE faculty member. The scholarship includes up to $20,000 a year to cover tuition and fees, room and board, and book expenses. Limited funds to support the faculty collaborator's involvement are also available (e.g., conference travel).
Important P&B Scholarship guidelines and information are as follows:
- The recipient must be a full-time AE major, in good academic standing (WSU GPA of 3.0 or higher)
- Sophomores or first-semester Juniors, who have completed AE 324, are eligible to apply
- The recipient must participate in meaningful AE-related work and/or research, for at least 10-20 hours per week, under the direct supervision of an AE faculty member (concurrent employment of any other type elsewhere is not acceptable)
- Preference is given to a student from rural Kansas (defined in this case as a Kansas town excluding Wichita, Kansas City, Andover, Maize, Derby, Overland Park, Olathe, Lenexa, Leawood, Shawnee, Merriam, El Dorado, Goddard, Eastborough and Haysville)
- Preference is given to a student who is eligible to be employed in the United States and whose access to scholarships for postsecondary education is limited
- The award will be made with regard to financial need, but not necessarily as defined by the FAFSA
- The scholarship can be renewed as long as the recipient and faculty collaborator continue to meet all guidelines and expectations (documented in an annual report)
WSU AE P&B Scholarship Application Process
Candidates must submit a single PDF-format document or package containing the following:
- A completed P&B Scholarship application form (click here)
- A two-page (or less) resume
- A one-page essay, demonstrating motivation, maturity, and potential to meet scholarship goals
- An endorsement letter, from an AE faculty member, outlining specific collaborative work and/or research outcomes (faculty should review the relevant endorsement information document - click here)
- A one-page, or less, financial need essay (click here for additional information)
Submit the completed applicaton package by email (here), as a single PDF-format document, by noon on June 1, 2017 (extended on May2). The scholarship will likely start in the Fall 2017 semester.
An AE faculty committee will review applications. Interviews may be scheduled for finalist. Selection is competitive, based on the scholarship goals and guidelines.
Click here to download a flyer for this scholarship.