Wichita State University (WSU) Aerospace Engineering (AE) faculty have a proud heritage of working closely with undergraduate students outside the classroom. As a result, students have done amazing things, including working on funded research projects and writing/presenting professional conference papers. The Palazola & Benmoussa Scholarship (P&B Scholarship) is intended to support and engage an outstanding AE undergraduate student in these kinds of opportunities.
P&B Scholarship goals include:
- Finding, supporting, and mentoring a highly motivated, mature, and promising AE student
- Supporting student opportunities to learn by doing, especially at a higher-level
- Inspiring others to engage in similar collaborations and to consider graduate school
A P&B Scholarship supports a student to complete their degree and to work closely with an AE faculty member. The scholarship includes up to $6,500 for the spring 2023 semester to cover tuition and fees, room and board, and book expenses. Limited funds to support the faculty collaborator's involvement are also likely available (e.g., conference travel).
Important P&B Scholarship guidelines and information are as follows:
- The recipient must be a full-time AE major, in good academic standing (WSU GPA of 3.0 or higher)
- Senior undergraduate students, in the final semester, are eligible to apply
- The recipient must participate in meaningful AE-related work and/or research, for at least 10-20 hours per week, under the direct supervision of an AE faculty member (concurrent employment of any other type elsewhere is not acceptable)
- Preference is given to a student from rural Kansas (defined in this case as a Kansas town excluding Wichita, Kansas City, Andover, Maize, Derby, Overland Park, Olathe, Lenexa, Leawood, Shawnee, Merriam, El Dorado, Goddard, Eastborough, and Haysville)
- Preference is given to a student who is eligible to be employed in the United States and whose access to scholarships for postsecondary education is limited
- The award will be made considering financial needs, but not necessarily as defined by the FAFSA
WSU AE P&B Scholarship Application Process
Candidates must submit a single PDF-format document or package containing the following:
- A completed P&B Scholarship application form (here)
- A two-page (or less) resume
- A one-page essay, demonstrating motivation, maturity, and potential to meet scholarship goals
- An endorsement letter, from an AE faculty member, outlining specific collaborative work and/or research outcomes (faculty should review the relevant endorsement information document - here)
- A one-page, or less, financial need essay (here)
Submit the completed applicaton package by email to the AE Chair, Dr. Raju (firstname.lastname@example.org), as a single PDF-format document, by noon on October 28, 2022. The scholarship will start in the spring 2023 semester.
An AE faculty committee will review applications. Interviews may be scheduled for finalist. Selection is competitive, based on the scholarship goals and guidelines.
Click here to download a scholarship poster.