Wichita State University's badge program makes workforce training and continuing education accessible and affordable. Each badge is designed with the practicing professional in mind so coursework can be completed online and at your own pace.
A badge is worth 0.5 credit hours and equates to about 22.5 hours of combined online instruction and study time. This makes workloads more manageable for someone who is already busy with a full-time job and family!
Aerospace Engineering Offerings
The Aerospace Engineering department offers a variety of badges. Be sure to visit this site and the WSU Workforce Education and Badge Programs site regularly for new and updated offerings.
Composite Manufacturing Technology Safety Awareness
A series of composites manufacturing related badge courses are currently available and will added in the coming months. Click below for more information on the first four badges:
- Composite Manufacturing Technology Safety Awareness Badge 1 (AE 770BA, 0.5 cr) - Students will be provided with composite materials technologies basic knowledge, an overview of different forms of composites manufacturing, various factory workflows and the associated regulatory guidance documents. Click here for more information.
- Composite Manufacturing Technology Safety Awareness Badge 2 (AE 770BB, 0.5 cr) - This course educates the students on the issues related to raw material manufacturing, their transport, incoming quality control and storage of composite materials. The preparation of tooling, cutting of composite preforms, layup and bagging of composite parts, and curing are discussed in detail . The use of procurement specifications and process control documents are emphasized in this course. Click here for more information.
- Composite Manufacturing Technology Safety Awareness Badge 3 (AE 770BC, 0.5 cr) - The topics covered in this course include technical aspects related to trimming and drilling of composites, defects in composites, adhesive bonding and assembly, non-destructive and destructive inspection. The implications to the role and responsibilities of the manufacturing inspector are discussed in each case. Click here for more information.
- Composite Manufacturing Technology Safety Awareness Badge 4 (AE 770BD, 0.5 cr) - The topics covered in this course include technical aspects related to painting and finishing of composites, handling and storage, manufacturing defects and their root cause analysis, and scarf repair of composites. The implications to the role and responsibilities of manufacturing inspector is discussed in each case. Click here for more information.
Composite Manufacturing Technology Safety Awareness Badge 5 (AE 770BE, 0.5 cr) - This lab course provides students with hands-on experiences on prepreg cutting, manual layup and bagging of simple laminated composite parts, Non-destructive inspection and scarf repair. Prerequisites: AE 770BD or Instructor’s consent.
Composite Structural Engineering Technology - 0 (AE 770BG, 0.5 cr) - This course provides the students with the background knowledge related to composite material applications, materials, processes, manufacturing, structural design, proof of structures, maintenance, Aeroelastic issues, crashworthiness, fire safety and lightning protection. This course serves as a foundation course for the follow-on courses which elaborate on the aforementioned topics. Prerequisites: Instructors consent.
- Composite Structural Engineering Technology - 1 (AE 770BH, 0.5 cr) - This course provides an historical overview of composites usage in aircraft structures;
discusses the key technical characteristics of composite structures; composites safety
and certification initiatives by FAA; issues affecting cost of incorporating composites;
role of standards organizations; some evolving composite technologies; evolution and
objectives of integrated product teams. Prerequisites: AE 770BG
Feel free to contact Dr. Suresh Raju for additional information on these badges or versions sutable for graduate credit.
Watch this page (click here) for additional composites related offerings.
WSU's NEW online Advanced MatLab Badge course provides an understanding of Matlab tools for the simulation of dynamic systems, design of controllers and optimization of goals subject to constraints. Specific topics that will be covered include the Matlab tools for the following: ordinary differential equation, two-point boundary value problem, constrained non-linear optimization, curve-fitting, controllability and observability of linear systems, classical control techniques, linear quadratic regulator, simulink modeling, animation and file-based input-output. The course will provide an initial review of Matlab programming basics.
The Advanced MatLab Badge course is designed for people who want to solve engineering problems using MatLab, specifically related to control, optimization and simulation of dynamic systems.
Additional WSU Badge Information and Offerings
Visit the following pages for more WSU badge information and other offerings!
Main WSU Badge page (click here)
Catalog of all current WSU offerings (click here)