Congratulations to Mason Bivens,
our 2019 Outstanding Graduating Senior!
The College of Engineering Outstanding Graduating Senior Award recognizes one undergraduate senior from the college who has garnered outstanding achievements as an undergraduate and has demonstrated leadership and an entrepreneurial mindset both within the college and across the university community. The award is given each spring to a student who is graduating during the calendar year in which the award is being given. The recipient of the award will receive a plaque and will be honored at the WSU College and Senior Honors Program.
To be eligible for the award, students must:
- Be graduating with a bachelor's degree in a College of Engineering degree program in the calendar year in which the award is given.
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA as of the end of the fall semester preceeding the spring awarding semester.
- Have had significant involvement in, and made meaning contributions to, both the College of Engineering and the university community.
- Have demonstrated leadership and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Demonstrate high potential for a successful career in engineering or computer science.
1. Nominations & Invitations to Apply
College of Engineering faculty and staff are invited to nominate eligible students. Students who are nominated will receive an email indicating their nomination and inviting them to apply.
While faculty and staff are invited to submit nominations, a nomination is not required to apply – any eligible student may submit an application by the deadline regardless of whether or not they were nominated.
2. Application Submissions
Eligible students must complete an applicaiton form posted on this website and must submit a written application packet to Jason Bosch, Director of Student Engagement and Scholarships. The application packet must include the following materials. Unless otherwise noted below, materials should be submitted in PDF format.
- A personal essay describing the applicant's contributions to the college and university community, ways in which the applicant has demonstrated effective leadership, and the applicant's future aspirations. The essay should be typed, double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font with 1" page margins, and should be no longer than one page in length.
- A letter of recommendation from a College of Engineering faculty or staff member that speaks to the applicant's achievement of the criteria above.
- A current resume.
- A high-resolution headshot photo (JPG or PNG preferred).
3. Selection of Finalists
An award selection committee comprised of College of Engineering faculty and staff will review applications and select up to five students to be named finalists for the award. Finalists will be invited to participate in a 15–minute interview with the selection committee.
4. Selection of Outstanding Senior
From the pool of finalists, the committee will select one student to be named the
Outstanding Graduating Senior. The recipient and their parents/guests will be invited
to attend the WSU College and Senior Honors Program in mid to late spring.