Exceptions to Catalog Regulations
- Student completes petition form, signs it, and submits it to their department by the established deadline*. No additional signatures are required at the time of submission. Forms can be submitted to the department by mail, email, or in-person (preferred method). For forms submitted by mail or email, please contact the department to confirm materials were received. See a list of engineering department contact information.
*Forms must be received at least one week before a scheduled University Exceptions Committee meeting date. Deadline dates are stated below.
- Exception requests are considered on a monthly basis, at three levels: Department, College committee, and University Exceptions Committee.
- Results are typically available 2-3 business days after the University Exceptions Committee meets. An official results letter will be emailed to your @shockers.wichita.edu after the committee meets. Due to Federal Privacy Laws, we cannot release Exceptions Committee results over the telephone.
Complete and print the fillable form, and then submit it to your department, along with supporting documentation. This form requires your handwritten signature.
How to Improve Your Request for an Exception:
The request for an exception to a college or university regulations is a request for special consideration. The obligation to clearly and completely present the case rests with you. Exceptions are never automatically granted. Do not treat this request as a trivial or casual event.
The guidelines offered here are suggestions for improving your chances of getting approval of your request.
1. Get Good Advice:
- Schedule an appointment with your academic success advisor or faculty advisor to discuss your case.
- If the request involves a specific course, discuss it with the instructor. Some requests can be strengthened if accompanied by the instructor’s endorsement.
2. Completing the Form:
- In Part I, state WHAT you are requesting (e.g., readmission, late drop, etc).
- In Part II, clearly state WHY you are requesting the exception. Demonstrate why, in your situation, the rule or the requirement should be waived.
- Attach documents that support your case. For example, in the case of an illness, attach medical documents.
2018-2019 Academic Year Exceptions Schedule
College of Engineering and University Admissions and Exceptions Committee (UAEC)
|Deadline to submit exception petitions to the department by 5:00pm*||College Meeting||UAEC Meeting|
|*All requests received after the deadline will be reviewed during the next scheduled exceptions meeting.|