Global Learning and Study Abroad

Global Learning prepares students for a landscape that increasingly requires an international window and familiarity with other cultures.


Students have three opportunities to receive Engineering+ credit for Global Learning and Study Abroad:

  • Earn a undergraduate certificate in Global Competency.
  • Or, Participate in a global learning project within a class at WSU.
  • Or, Complete a credit-bearing course in a foreign country where English is not the first language. 

Finding Opportunities

  • The Wichita State Study Abroad Office offers a variety of programs to choose from: semester and year-long traditional foreign exchange, short-term/summer classes in other countries led by WSU faculty,  programs with classes taught in English, programs with classes taught in another language and some that specialize in teaching you a new language.
  • International Students who have earned a high school diploma or higher in a country where English is not the primary language can also apply for credit in this criterion. Complete an Engineering+ Approval form and submit it to your department along with a copy of your visa. 
  • The Undergraduate Certificate in Global Competency from Wichita State will equip you with the understanding and skills to successfully work in diverse teams in virtually any professional environment. This certificate is a good addition to every major—and can set you apart from the competition once you enter the job market.
  • The American Institute For Foreign Study (AIFS) has more than 40 years of experience in organizing study abroad programs. AIFS provides study abroad programs in 22 countries across the globe. They also offer scholarships up to $5000. Please note that for Engineering+ credit, the class MUST be in a country where English is not the primary language (the course, however, may be in English).
  • SIT (School for International Training) Study Abroad Scholarships allows you to identify possible study abroad scholarships and financial aid, specifically for engineers. 
  • Some WSU faculty offer for-credit Travel Seminars (e.g. HNRS 398I) to non-English speaking countries. Students seeking Engineering+ credit for Travel Seminar experiences must enroll in and complete the independent coursework for the 3-credit hour version of the seminar.