Engineering Diversity Advisory Board
Wichita State University's College of Engineering Diversity Advisory Board reaches out to the underrepresented student community to stimulate interest in science and math and promote engineering as a career.
The College of Engineering takes pride in its contributions toward meeting the learning, exploration and research needs of local/state-wide industry. As part of a major research university in a metropolitan area, we are also committed to developing the diverse engineering workforce required to sustain a competitive advantage and high standard of living in today’s global economy.
With the objective of broadening participation in engineering, we have selected an accomplished and passionate group of Wichita citizens to be part of the WSU College of Engineering Diversity Advisory Board.
To identify obstacles impacting African American and Hispanic students’ enrollment and graduation in engineering at WSU and guiding the College of Engineering (COE) in creating and implementing strategies that improve access to enrollment, retention and graduation of African American and Hispanic students.
The College of Engineering purposes to be an effective leader in inspiring, and ensuring the enrollment, retention and graduation of African American and Hispanic students.
- Create a COE student life environment that instills a sense of belonging among African American and Hispanic students.
- Proactively engage the African American and Hispanic community at large for mentorship, jobs, research and additional scholarship opportunities
- Increase African American and Hispanic students’ enrollment in WSU’s College of Engineering.
- Improve graduation rates of African American and Hispanic students from the COE.
- Increase the population of African American and Hispanic staff and faculty in the COE.
- Create a pipeline of opportunities and access through novel, success-driven best practices; exercised at other college/universities.
- Measure and report achievements of progress, goals and community engagement activities.