Economic DevelopmentGraduate students sitting at a table while attending an event.

The Graduate Certificate in Economic Development offers advanced study in economic development by state and local governments. Four graduate-level courses are drawn from the Hugo Wall School of Public Affairs and the Barton School of Business. The curriculum will cover the established theory and practical application in urban planning, urban land development, urban economics, and state and local economic development. Those completing the program will be awarded the Graduate Certificate in Economic Development and completion will be recognized on the student’s official university transcript.

Who should enroll?

  • Economic development practitioners who hold undergraduate degrees and want to enhance their skills and career options.
  • MPA students seeking a concentration in economic development.
  • Students in other graduate degree programs, such as Master of Business Administration.

What are the program requirements?
The Graduate Certificate in Economic Development requires the completion of the following graduate courses and their prerequisites:

Complete one of the following:

  • Public Administration 688/ECON 688: Urban Economics
  • Public Administration 865: State and Local Government Finance
  • Public Administration 866: Public Financial Management
  • Real Estate 618: Real Estate Investment Analysis

Students in the certificate program must earn a grade of “B” or better in all certificate courses. No transfer credit will be accepted for the Graduate Certificate in Economic Development. Certificate courses must be completed within six years or less. Classes normally take place after 5 p.m. on weekdays.

What must I do to be admitted?
Admission to the Graduate School is required. Applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university and a grade point average of at least 3.00 in the last 60 credit hours of work, including any post-bachelor’s graduate work. Applicants who are currently enrolled in a graduate degree program at Wichita State University and desire to complete the Graduate Certificate as part of their degree program should include the four required courses in their plan of study.

Applicants who speak English as a second language must have a score of 600 or more on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and a score of 50 or more on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) or the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test.

Graduate faculty from Wichita State University Hugo Wall School of Public Affairs and Barton School of Business teach the courses.

Bethany Kennedy, Student Services Coordinator
Wichita State University Hugo Wall School of Public Affairs
(316) 978-7240

WSU Hugo Wall School logo.