Welcome to the School of Music!
On behalf of the faculty, staff, and students of the School of Music at Wichita State University, I welcome you to our website and our musical community. As the arts change and adapt in the 21st century we must consider what our identity is as a training ground for musicians.
Who are we?
- A community that values diversity, inclusiveness, creativity, compassion, inquiry, and quality.
- Faculty fully engaged in creative and scholarly activities and equally engaged in the art of teaching.
- Compassionate and thoughtful students dedicated to creating and teaching music locally, nationally, and internationally.
- A body of alumni who win state and national teaching awards and hold jobs in major orchestras and ensembles.
- A creative space home to two concert halls, two recording studios, and a dedicated chamber music venue. Wiedemann Hall houses the great Marcussen Organ—the first of its kind to be built in North America. Steinway concert grand pianos are available in every performance space for our students, faculty and guests.
- The largest metropolitan area in the state of Kansas: Wichita is rich in cultural diversity and artistic experiences. We are home to three major performing arts organizations in which our students and faculty regularly perform: the Wichita Symphony, Music Theater Wichita, and Wichita Grand Opera. Our jazz faculty and students perform in local clubs and festivals throughout the city. Our music education students work with teachers in Wichita’s various school districts, shadowing many of our own alumni.
We provide the tools to express yourself fully as an artist and thinker so you can help propel the future of the arts wherever you go.
Tim Shade, Director
Wichita State University School of Music