Flags Header

Student Types (Domestic versus International)

Wichita State University classifies students as either "domestic students" or "international students."

Domestic Students

Domestic students are American citizens, naturalized U.S. citizens, permanent residents, refugees, or asylees. Domestic students make up the majority of students on the Wichita State campus.

International Students (including H1-B visa holders)

Wichita State University defines an international student as anyone who is in a non-immigrant visa status. This includes H1-B visa holders. In essence, if you are not a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or asylee, you would be classified as an international student at Wichita State University. All international students are required to:

1) Provide proof of English proficiency before enrollment
2) Purchase medical insurance through WSU unless an insurance waiver is obtained
3) Be tested for tuberculosis
Check in for SEVIS each semester (F-1 and J-1 visa types only)
5) Maintain a valid passport at all times