John is Associate Dean and Professor of Strategic Management in the Barton School of Business at Wichita State University. He earned his PhD in Strategic Management from the Smeal College of Business at Penn State University in 2006. John’s research interests include family business dynamics, business ethics, and nascent entrepreneurship activities
Family Business, Business Ethics, Entrepreneurship
Family Business, Business Ethics, Entrepreneurship
Strategic Management, Business Ethics
- Chand, M. & Perry, J.T. The rise of the non-religious: Background, importance, and implications for businesses. Journal of Management, Spirituality, & Religion, 16 (5): 445-461.
- Straub, L. & Perry, J.T. Analyzing industry changes and business evolution: The path forward for Midwest Equipment Company. The Case Journal, 12 (3): 1-18.
- Perry, J.T., Hanke, R.H., Chandler, G.N., & Markova, G. 2016. Some predictors of entrepreneurship article impact. Journal of Entrepreneurship, 25 (1): 42-69.
- Perry, J.T. & Bereman, N. 2016. Comparing family and nonfamily candidates for promotion: Manager selection at Acme Lumber. The Case Journal, 12 (3): 1-18.
- Perry, J.T. Chand, M., & Ring, J.K. 2015. Cultural influences in the decision to invest in a family member’s venture. Venture Capital, 17 (3): 237-262.
- Perry, J.T., Ring, J.K., Matherne, C. & Markova, G. 2015. Ethical human resource practices from the perspective of family ownership. American Journal of Entrepreneurship, 8 (1): 21-43.
- Perry, J.T., Ring, J.K., & Broberg, J.C. Which type of advisors do family businesses trust most? An exploratory application of socioemotional selectivity theory. Family Business Review, 28 (3): 211-226.
- Markova, G., Perry, J.T. & Farmer, S. 2014. Cohesion and individual well-being of members in self-managed teams. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 35 (5): 429-441.
- Muthitacharoen, A. & Perry, J.T. Examining the effectiveness of partitioned-pricing strategies and its transparency in online auction marketplaces. Journal of Information Technology Management, 24 (4): 1-13.
- Perry, J.T., Chandler, G.N., & Markova, G. 2012. Entrepreneurial effectuation: A review and suggestions for future. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 36 (4): 837-861.
- Perry, T., Pett, T.L., & Ring, J.K. 2012. Comparison of the information-sharing benefit of the Internet for family and nonfamily companies, International Journal of Information Technology and Management, 11 (3): 186-200.
- Markova, G. & Perry, T. 2011. It's all about the data: Challenges and solutions in the study of nascent entrepreneurship. Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 16 (2): 169-198.
- Perry, J.T., Chandler, G.N., Yao, X., & Pett, T.L. 2011. Founder characteristics and legitimacy seeking behaviors. New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, 14 (2): 41-51.
- Perry, J.T., Chandler, G.N., Yao, X., & Wolff, J.A. 2011. Bootstrapping techniques and new venture emergence. New England Journal of Entrepreneurship, 14 (1): 35-45.
- Perry, T., Yao, X., & Chandler, G.N. 2011. To get the best successor must the predecessor go? Power distribution in external CEO successions. Managerial and Decision Economics, 32 (8): 505-525.
- Perry, J.T., Pett, T.L., & Buhrman, A. 2010. Participation in business associations and performance among family firms. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 11 (3): 367-378.
- Pett, T.L., Wolff, J.A., & Perry, J.T. 2010. Information technology competency in SMEs: An examination in the context of firm performance. International Journal of Information Technology and Management, 9 (4): 404-422.
- Bergh, D. D., Perry, T., & Hanke, R. 2006. Some determinants of SMJ article impact. Strategic Management Journal, 27 (1): 81-100.
- Susman, G.I., Gray, B.L., Perry, J.T., & Blair, C.E. 2003.Recognition and reconciliation of differences in interpretation of misalignments when collaborative technologies are introduced into new product development teams. Journal of Technology and Engineering Management, 20 (1-2): 141-159.
Academic Work Experience:
Wichita State University – Barton School of Business
- 2018-present Associate Dean
- 2015-2018 Department Chair
- 2018-present Professor
- 2012-2018 Associate Professor
- 2011-2012 Assistant Professor
- 2005-2009 Assistant Professor
Pennsylvania State University – Harrisburg, School of Business
- 2009-2011 Assistant Professor
Pennsylvania State University – University Park, Department of Management & Organization
- 2000-2005 Teaching and Research Assistant
Professional Work Experience:
- 1998-2000 Information Systems Contractor, Self-employed. Philadelphia, PA
- 1997-1998 Knowledge Manager, Coopers & Lybrand. Philadelphia, PA
- 1995-1997 Manager, Andersen Consulting. Northbrook, IL
- 1994-1995 Consultant, Adia Information Technologies. Mechanicsburg, PA
- 1993-1994 Computer Programmer-Analyst, Sea-Land Services. Port Elizabeth, NJ
- 1988-1991 Computer Operator, IBM. Mechanicsburg, PA
- Blackboard Catalyst Award – Teaching and Learning , 2017
- Blackboard Exemplary Course Award, 2016
- Quality Matters Course Certification, 2016
- Family Enterprise Research Conference, Best Paper, 2016
- Family Business Review Excellent Reviewer, 2016, 2017, and 2018
- Barton School (Wichita State University) Graduate Instructor of the Year, 2015
- Barton School (Wichita State University) Red Apple Award for College Service, 2014
- United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Best Paper in Family Business, Honorable Mention, 2013
- United States Association of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Best Paper in Family Business, Outstanding Reviewer, 2009
- Barton School (Wichita State University) Undergraduate Instructor of the Year, 2008
- Center for Entrepreneurship (Wichita State University) Researcher of the Year, 2007
- Coleman/USASBE scholarship, 2007 & 2008
- Kauffman Foundation, Panel Survey of Entrepreneurial Dynamics Workshop scholarship, 2007
- Smeal Dissertation Research Awards, 2004 and 2005
- Technology and Innovation Management Doctoral Consortium, invited participant, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, New Orleans, August 2004.
- Barton School of Business Summer Research Grant: 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2012.
- Wichita State University Research/Creative Project Award, 2007, 2009, and 2012.
- Family Owned Business Institute Research Grant, 2009