Wichita State University Excellence in Creative Activity Award will be made annually to a WSU faculty member who has, in the judgment of his or her peers, established an exemplary and demonstrable record of creative activity that has not only increased the faculty member's reputation, but has also brought recognition to the University.
All full-time faculty, including distinguished professors and endowed chairs, who have served at WSU for at least three years are eligible. Faculty who hold an administrative position above that of chair are not eligible. Winners of the award will be ineligible to be nominated for a period of five years following the award.
All full- and part-time faculty members are eligible to make nominations on the form below, based upon one or more of the following criteria:
- The nominee is a composer of musical works; a creator of works of art such as drawings, paintings, illustrations, computer graphics, sculptures, ceramics, or photographs; the producer/director of videotapes, CDs, or other multi-media artifacts; an author of written creative works; a choreographer of dance compositions; or a creator of other types of fine art that characterize the creative spirit; or the nominee is a performer in the areas of music, theater, or dance.
- Recognition of the nominee's creative abilities has been made through invitations to perform in recitals, concerts, plays or other appropriate venues; or to display works of art in exhibitions or shows; or compositions have been selected for performance or for publication.
- The nominee has received competitive grants that represent significant support of a creative career, or has won awards or been recognized for the quality of his or her creations or performances by governments, professional organizations, arts councils and other private entities that recognize excellence in the arts.
- The nominee has supported efforts to enhance creative activities at the University by participating in programs for the community, or writing or speaking on behalf of the arts and creative activities.
- The nomination package for this award may include evidence from the last 5 years.
Upon receipt of the nomination form, the Faculty Support Committee will request a copy of the nominee’s vitae, delineating the nominee’s role in multi-authored citations (e.g., primary author, secondary author, principal investigator, co-principal investigator, data collection, data analysis, etc.), and request evidence of nominee’s impact on creative activity (citations, reviews, inclusion in professional discussion or debate in the field, etc.). Excluding support letters and nomination form, additional materials are limited to a maximum of 25 pages.
Three letters of support, speaking to the criteria above, will also be required for the selection process from on- or off-campus colleagues.
- The Faculty Support Committee will review nominations and recommend one candidate to the Provost.
- The award will be announced in the spring.
Award Amount: $2,500
Previous Awardees: https://www.wichita.edu/research/excellenceawards/excellenceawards.php