Phenomenal Women is a program that focuses on undergraduate and graduate students at Wichita State University. This group supports the Women of Color (WoC) at this institution and the experiences that they share.
Phenomenal Women will:
- Provide a space that strengthens the bonds between women
- Create a network between the students, staff, faculty and alumni of color
- Develop leaders, improve communication and collaboration
- Strengthen values and self-esteem
This builds a community that focuses on self-reflection, identity development, self-efficacy, and celebrating the cultural influences that shape the lives of people of color.
- Students who participate in Phenomenal Women will be able to identify at least one peer and one professional to create a network that contributes to their personal, professional and/or academic development.
- As a result of participating in this group, students will be able to demonstrate effective communication and collaboration skills that help them foster self-development.
- By the end of the academic year, students will be able to recognize how their personal identities contribute to Wichita State University and/or society.
Learning outcomes describes what Phenomenal Women are able to demonstrate in terms of knowledge, skills and values upon their participation in the group.
Developing our women into leaders is vital to this support group as leadership development expands the capacity of individuals to perform in leadership roles within organizations.
Collaboration is a soft skill that many organizations, especially in the career industry value. By working together, our women are able to effectively enhance the development of critical thinking skills and work with those who they do not necessarily work with on a daily basis.
Applying effective communication skills in a variety of public and interpersonal settings through our sessions allows our women understand group processes, manage conflict, promote active listening and have appropriate self-disclosure.
Being active in Phenomenal Women reinforces the concept to clarify, develop and live their own values, while respecting the views and beliefs of others, as well as cultivating an understanding of the dimensions of human diversity while recognizing the common humanity of all.
The first step to start journey with Phenomenal Women is to sign up for this group. The Office of Diversity and Inclusion believes that all students that we serve have amazing potential at Wichita State and we believe you can lean into discomfort to take advantage of all the opportunities that lies ahead of you. We believe that Phenomenal Women will be able to foster your personal and professional development while you are here at Wichita State and hopefully, be able to build networks and connections that will create everlasting relationships beyond college. In our views, we do not see Phenomenal Women being time consuming at all. Our goal is to ensure you have a safe space and networking outlet outside of your academics and extracurricular activities. We hope to able to help you with your leadership development, collaboration, effective communication and clarify, develop and live your own values. If you are interested in joining Phenomenal Women, please fill out the registration form below:
Session 2: DETAILS COMING SOON
Session 3: DETAILS COMING SOON
Session 4: DETAILS COMING SOON
Session 5: DETAILS COMING SOON
Session 6: DETAILS COMING SOON
Session 7: DETAILS COMING SOON
Session 8: Men of Excellence x Phenomenal Women End of Semester Celebration
Phenomenal Women has dedicated advisors committed to empowering our Women of Color at Wichita State University through leadership and professional development.