Requesting a Tutor
Before requesting a tutor please READ:
- Our goal is to match you with a tutor that you can work with throughout the semester to assist you with your academic goals.
- It can take up to 48 hours to be matched with a tutor.
- We attempt to match all requests but we cannot guarantee that we will have a tutor for all subjects.
- All tutoring sessions must be held either virtually or on the WSU campus at the Shocker Learning Center (LH 107)
- Tutoring sessions are limited to 60 minutes. Students may not schedule back-to-back sessions, nor may they schedule more than three sessions each week in one subject or more than five sessions each week in all subjects combined.
- If your course has Supplemental Instruction you will be referred to your SI leader, who will be your tutor. If you are unable to attend the SI sessions or your SI leaders' office hours, your SI leader will find a time to meet with you. If you and your SI leader are unable to find a time to meet, you will be assigned a tutor.
- We do not tutor Engineering courses. Please refer to GEEKS and the Engineering Student Success Center for assistance with all Engineering courses that do not have Supplemental Instruction.
If there is a legitimate reason that an existing academic resource(s) will not work for you, please explain in the availabilities section of your request and your request will be considered.
STEP-BY-STEP Instructions to Request a Tutor
- Login to your myWSU.
- Click on the Request A Tutor link under the Student Tools section.
- Click on the blue bar that says Request Tutoring/Advising.
- On the left side, select Tutoring and SI Office Hours under the question "What type of service would you like to schedule?"
- Select Tutoring under the question "What type of appointment would you like?"
- Select a date on which you would like to begin tutoring.
- Select Find Available Time on the blue bar.
- Select the Course in the blue box for which you are scheduling or requesting tutoring. All available tutors, locations and times will display for the course you have selected. You may make additional selections under the calendar. You may search for a specific tutor by name, meeting type (in person or virtual), location or course.
If there is an existing tutoring session that works for you --
- Select the time bubble on the day (under the tutor's name and location) you would like to begin meeting with a tutor.
- You will then see a screen that verifies the day, time and location you selected. Select how you would like to meet if given an option (in person or virtually).
- Place any additional comments you would like the tutor to know in the box under the question "Would you like to share anything else?"
- Select the reminders you wish to receive. You can choose to receive an email reminder at your WSU email address and/or a text message reminder (usually an hour before your session) on your cell phone.
- Click on the blue bar that says "Schedule."
- You will receive a message that indicates your appointment was scheduled and an email will be sent to your WSU email address.
If none of the times work with your schedule, click on Request Alternate Appointment Time under the displayed existing times.
- Select the Course in the blue box for which you are requesting tutoring.
- Select the Request Time box under the Shocker Learning Center location.
- Add your availability in the box.
- Select Request on the blue button.
- You will receive a message that an appointment was requested and our staff will be in touch with you to discuss tutoring options.
*If you need further assistance or you cannot make an appointment using the method outlined above, please stop by the Shocker Learning Center in Lindquist Hall 107, call 316-978-3023 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If there is an existing campus resource for the course(s) you are seeking tutoring in or if your course offers Supplemental Instruction, you WILL be directed to the existing resource(s) first.
View existing academic success support resources
The best way to guarantee you get the help you need is to reach out early. In order for tutoring to be successful for you, review our tutoring guidelines.