Alternative Spring Break, March 13th-18th 2023
Alternative Spring Break will expose WSU students to complex social and cultural issues through community visits, experiential learning, direct service, group discussion, common readings, and reflection activities. ASB will take place in Wilmington, N.C. over Spring Break, March 13th-18th, 2023.
Part of the trip will be volunteering with hurricane clean-up and assisting the Wilmington Area Rebuilding Ministries (WARM). WARM serves low-income homeowners, many of whom are elderly, disabled, and/or veterans. WARM helps people age in place safely by preventing home accidents and illnesses - preserving their dignity and independence. Other aspects of the trip will work with environmental sustainability and water conservation. Students must participate in a seminar that will take place 3 weeks prior to the trip for 1 hour a week and 1 post trip seminar. This seminar will explore the issues related to the service project through readings, discussion and writing and post trip reflection activities.
The cost of the trip is $210 per student. There may be some fundraising opportunities (both group and individual) to help reduce the cost. The cost includes transportation, airfare to/from, housing, meals and excursions. The group will be staying a Matthew House, a house located off of Wrightsville Beach.
Where to start?
- Attend one of our information sessions. Information sessions will provide students
with details about the seminar and trip logistics. Informational sessions will be
held on the following dates:
- September 12th, 12-1pm in RSC 245
- September 17th, 12-1pm in RSC 245
- September 26th, 12-1pm in RSC 245
- October 24th, 5:30-6:30pm in RSC 245
- November 14th, 12-1pm in RSC 245
- Fill out an application and bring it to RSC 216 or email it to Loren Belew at Loren.Belew@wichita.edu
- Applications may be found here.
For additional questions email Loren Belew at Loren.Belew@wichita.edu.