3.33 / Eschewing Campus/Workplace Violence
The purpose of this statement is to set forth University policy with
regard to the prevention, deterrence and response to workplace and campus
It is recognized that it is important that the University have a
comprehensive policy statement, in supplementation of the State of Kansas
Violence Policy that is consistent with best practices in campus
1. Wichita State University emphatically supports a violence-free
workplace and campus.
2. The University is committed to taking all reasonable steps
necessary to seek to avoid and prevent acts of violence and deter acts of
violence on campus, and to be prepared to respond to acts of violence that
may occur on campus, in spite of all such efforts.
3. Immediate threats or situations
of immediate concern should always be directed to the University Police
Department or local, state or federal law enforcement authorities.
4. Faculty and staff who want to report concerns about their personal
safety, the personal safety of a co-worker or any concern about a possible
act of violence on campus should notify their supervisor, the Dean of their
College, the Office of Human Resources, the Office of
Academic Affairs, the University Behavior Intervention Team, the
University's General Counsel, the University Police Department or local,
state or federal law enforcement authorities.
5. Students who want to report concerns about their personal safety,
the personal safety of a fellow student or any concern about a possible act
of violence on campus should notify a faculty member, the Chair of their
Department, the Dean of their College, a member of the Residence Life Staff,
the Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards, the University
Behavior Intervention Team, the International Students Office, the Office of
Student Engagement, the Office of Academic Affairs,
the University's General Counsel, the University Police Department or local,
state or federal law enforcement authorities.
6. The University is committed to identify, investigate, assess,
manage and attempt to resolve identified concerns and/or to prevent and
avoid any workplace and campus violence, to the extent reasonably and
7. Individuals are encouraged to report any concerns about violence or
the possibility of violence on campus and no retaliatory actions shall be
taken against those who report a concern in good faith and/or who cooperate
with an investigation about any such report.
8. All reports and any follow-up investigations deemed necessary and
appropriate will be confidential to the extent permitted by applicable state
and federal laws and to the extent consistent with a fair, comprehensive and
thorough investigation and follow-up.
9. The filing of false reports or information is prohibited and any
person who knowingly or carelessly submits a false report will be subject to
discipline, up to and including suspension or expulsion from the University
and/or termination of employment, subject to all applicable University
10. The University will, as appropriate, consider declaration of a
crisis situation, thereby activating all crisis response mechanisms provided
for by University policy and the University's Emergency Operations Plan
until such time as an end of the crisis is formally declared and announced.
As a part of the crisis response, the University will identify resources and
services that are available to help recover from crisis situations.
11. The University will provide and make available annual training to
students, faculty and staff on procedures for identifying, reporting and
addressing concerns of violence, said training to address and cover the
- Applicable University policies
- Identifying potentially violent or threatening situations
- Defusing volatile or threatening situations
- Reporting emergent concerns
- Where and how to report developing concerns
- Responsibility for cooperating with investigations
- Processes used to investigate and address concerns
- Support services to assist with recovery from a crisis involving
This policy shall be included in the WSU Policies and Procedures Manual
and shared with appropriate constituencies of the University.
The General Counsel and the Vice President for Administration and Finance
shall share responsibility for publication, dissemination and
implementation of this University policy.
February 13, 2009
January 18, 2011
(Note: Because this policy applies directly to students
and employees at Wichita
State University, Eschewing Campus/Workplace Violence has also been
included in Chapter 8, Student Policies and Procedures, at Section 8.18.)