To authorize and designate an operational policies and procedures manual for the University; to define policy initiating authorities; and to develop a standard policy format, review, approval and dissemination process.
All policies and procedures are under the authority of the President. The Wichita State University Policies and Procedures Manual is to include policies and procedures applicable to the entire University and consistent with the Strategic Plan. Any policy or procedure that is inconsistent with the Strategic Plan must be reviewed and approved by the President or the policy or procedure is null and void.
The President, members of the Executive Team, Faculty Senate, Unclassified Professional Senate, University Support Staff Senate and Student Government Association are hereby designated as policy initiating authorities. Policies or procedures shall not be changed without review of the Executive Team. The following procedures must be followed to change a policy or procedure:
- Any policy or procedure being established or modified shall be sent by email to all members of the Executive Team for review and comment.
- The policy or procedure shall be attached to the email as a Microsoft Word document with recommended changes highlighted.
- Comments and edits to the proposed policy or procedure shall be made in Microsoft Word and sent by email to the initiating authority with the President and the Executive Team copied on the email.
- The final draft shall be shared with the Executive Team by email prior to its final inclusion in the Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Any member of the Executive Team can request to discuss a policy or procedure change before it is promulgated.
- The President or his/her designee will notify the Director of Internal Audit when the final draft is approved for promulgation.
- The President has the right to waive these procedures if it is seen to be in the best interest of the University.
The Wichita State University Policies and Procedures Manual governs in those instances where policies or procedures published in other University or college documents differ from those stated in the manual. The Wichita State University Policies and Procedures Manual is subject to applicable federal and state laws and regulations and the Kansas Board of Regents Policy Manual.
Any policy or procedure more restrictive than federal and state laws and regulations and the Kansas Board of Regents Policy Manual as of July 1, 2014, must be reviewed and approved by the President or it will revert back to federal and state laws and regulations and Kansas Board of Regents Policy Manual.
The Wichita State University Policies and Procedures Manual will have an effective date of July 1, 2014. All previous print versions of the policies and procedures manual are obsolete and should be discarded.
Proposed additions to or revisions of University policy must be submitted to the President for review and approval. The standard policy adoption format is:
- Policy Title
- Initiating Authority
- Preamble (as required or appropriate)
- Implementation (related procedures, if necessary)
- Effective Date
The Office of Internal Audit is responsible for maintaining and updating the manual. The manual will be disseminated to University personnel through the University's website. Revisions or additions to the manual will note the effective date.