8.02 / Regular Student Employment

  1. Policy

    1. Student employment funded from general use or non work-study restricted use money is considered regular student employment.

    2. This policy does not apply to Graduate Assistantships. See Section 8.01 for an explanation of the categories of student employment and Section 8.04 relating specifically to Graduate Assistantships. See Section 13.10 for more information about student employee payroll and the student FICA exemption.

  2. Procedure

    1. Enrollment Requirements

      Minimum enrollment requirements pertain to credit hours at Wichita State University. Failure to maintain enrollment requirements will result in termination. The employing department is responsible for monitoring the student's compliance with enrollment requirements and must terminate employment at the end of the payroll period in which it becomes known enrollment has not been maintained.

    2. Eligibility Requirements - Academic Year

      1. Maintain minimum enrollment of 6 credit hours when working 16-30 hours per week, or maintain minimum enrollment of 3 credit hours when working 15 hours or less per week.
      2. International students must maintain lawful F-1 or J-1 status in order to be eligible for employment. Generally, that requires undergraduate students to maintain 12-credit-hour minimum enrollment as an undergraduate, and 9-credit-hour minimum enrollment as a graduate student, each semester employed. International students who are enrolled in fewer credit hours must demonstrate eligibility, pursuant to certain exceptions provided for in F-1 and J-1 regulations, by presenting acceptable proof (provided by the Office of International Education) to the Office of Human Resources that they continue to maintain proper F-1 or J-1 status. In addition to maintaining lawful F-1 or J-1 status, international students will be subject to the same eligibility requirements for student employment as resident students.
    3. Eligibility Requirements - Summer

      1. Admitted to the University as a first semester freshman or graduate student, or
      2. Have maintained enrollment in a minimum of 6 credit hours during the preceding spring semester if not employed as a regular student employee or have maintained enrollment in the minimum credit hours to meet academic year eligibility requirements as listed above, or
      3. Maintain continuous enrollment in a minimum of 2 credit hours during the summer session.
      4. F-1 and J-1 students must comply with 1, 2, or 3.
    4. Employment Eligibility Verification

      All offers of employment must include notification that employment is subject to proof-of-employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. No person may be added to the payroll until an I-9 form and release consent form have been completed. See the Initiation of Employment Policy at Section 3.20 of this manual.

    5. Maximum Hours of Work - Academic Year

      1. No more than 30 hours per week while classes are in session and should not exceed 40 hours per week during finals week and break periods.
      2. F-1 and J-1 students - no more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session and should not exceed 40 hours per week during finals week or break periods.
    6. Maximum Hours of Work - Summer

      1. Should not exceed 40 hours per week.
      2. F-1 and J-1 students - should not exceed 40 hours per week.

      The Office of Human Resources will monitor hours worked and notify the employing department(s) of any violation. The Office of Human Resources will also assess overtime payments to the department (proportionately when more than one department is involved). If a student has more than one student employee appointment, the total scheduled hours per week must not exceed the limit of all appointments combined.

    7. Benefits

      Persons employed under regular student employment are exempt from social security deductions while enrolled. Social security will be deducted when employed but not enrolled during the summer. Worker's compensation coverage is also provided for student employees. Student employees are not eligible for other employment benefits.

    8. Wage Rates

      A person shall not be compensated at less than the federal minimum wage.

    9. Pay Period

      Pay periods will begin on Sunday and end two weeks later on Saturday. Paychecks will be issued two weeks later on Friday. If Friday (payday) is a holiday, paychecks will be issued on the closest preceding work day.

    10. Timesheets

      Students must keep a daily record of hours worked during employment on a timesheet or time card.

    11. Grievance Procedures

      Students who have an employment dispute should try to resolve the problem with the immediate supervisor (when person is not the department budget officer) then the budget officer and/or budget review officer. If these efforts are unsuccessful, students should contact the Vice President for Student Affairs or designee for assistance with resolving the problem. Decisions of the Vice President for Student Affairs on employment disputes are final except in cases involving sexual harassment. When sexual harassment in employment is alleged, a person must use the Sexual Harassment of Students Policy located at Section 8.11 of this manual.

    12. Recruitment

      All vacancies for student employment must be listed with Career Services for a minimum of one class day. Additional recruitment sources may be utilized as needed.

    13. Employment Procedures

      1. Departments must complete a Student Employment Authorization form to place a student employee on the payroll. Departments are responsible for obtaining from the student the following forms and documents, completed and signed:
        1. Substance Abuse Policy Affirmation Form
        2. INS I-9 (A social security card may not be used as evidence of employment eligibility for a noncitizen. Employment may not begin any earlier than the date the I-9 is signed.)
        3. Copies of identification for I-9 Form
        4. Consent to Release I-9 Form
        5. New Hire Report Form
        6. W-4 Tax Form
        7. State of Kansas Employees Oath (must be notarized)
        8. Employee Information Form
        9. Americans with Disabilities Status Form (optional)
        These completed and signed forms should be attached to the Student Employment Authorization form and forwarded to Payroll in the Office of Financial Operations and Business Technology.
      2. The Office of Human Resources will distribute copies of the Student Employment Authorization Form. White original will go to the Office of Financial Operations and Business Technology for processing to the student payroll. Yellow copy is returned to the department. The Office of Human Resources will ensure that a person meets all eligibility requirements and is not scheduled to work more than the maximum hours allowed. When the office determines a person is in violation of requirements, the employing department(s) will be notified of the need to resolve the problem.
    14. Change of Status and Termination

      Any change of status in salary or funding account must be processed through a Change of Status form. Terminations must be processed through a Change of Status form also.