8.06 / First-Year Students Residence Hall Living Requirements

8.06 / Residence hall living requirements for first-year students

  1. Initiating Authority

    The Associate Dean of Students serves as the budget officer for Housing and Residence Life, as designated by the Vice President of Student Affairs. In this capacity, the Associate Dean of Students is responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the administration of Housing and Residence Life. The Associate Dean of Students is responsible for notifying the University community of substantial changes to this policy.

  2. Purpose

    To state University policy that designated First-Year Students must live in a University residence hall.

  3. Policy

    1. Studies demonstrate that students who live in campus residence halls have a greater opportunity for success with regard to their college experience and are more likely to remain in school to earn their degree. In support of the success of students who come to Wichita State University, designated First-Year Students are required to live in a University residence hall.
    2. All First-Year Students, including undergraduate international students and Intensive English Students, unless otherwise eligible for an exemption under section III.C. of this policy, must live in University-owned or operated housing facilities during their first two semesters at Wichita State University.
    3. First-year students are eligible for exemption from this policy if they submit a Request for Exemption form as set forth in this policy and meet the following eligibility criteria:
      1. Students who are twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
      2. Students transferring 24 or more credit hours from a previous institution at the beginning of the housing contract period.
        1. Credits must be able to be confirmed per the University software system (Banner).
        2. Or, a student may provide proof of on campus residency of two semesters at their previous institution.
      3. Married students who are living with their spouse.
      4. Students who have a dependent child living with them.
      5. Students that live in the Greater Sedgwick County Area with a parent, legal guardian, grandparent, aunt, or uncle.
      6. Students that live in Greek housing authorized by a national chapter recognized by the University.
      7. Students enrolled solely in online courses.
        1. Online credits must be able to be confirmed per the University software system (Banner).
  4. Definitions

    1. For the purpose of this policy only, the following definitions shall apply:

    2. Exemption Request: A request to be exempt from this policy that is made by a student who meets the exemption eligibility criteria.
    3. First-Year Students: All undergraduate students starting college at Wichita State University who completed high school the preceding year.
    4. Intensive English Students: All students enrolled in an Intensive English Program on campus.
    5. The Greater Sedgwick County Area: Includes the following counties: Butler, Cowley, Harper, Harvey, Kingman, Reno, Sedgwick, and Sumner.
    6. University: Wichita State University and its controlled affiliate organizations.
  5. Administrative Procedure

    1. Students who meet the exemption criteria set forth in section III.B. of this policy may request an exemption as outlined below.
    2. Students may submit a Request for Exemption form, along with appropriate supporting documentation to supplement the request, through the housing portal on the student's myWSU Page. If the student will be living with a relative listed in Section III.C(5), their relative must also complete the Relative Verification Form.
    3. Housing and Residence Life will review the Exemption Request and shall make every effort to notify the student in writing their decision within 3 business days from receipt of the Exemption Request Form and any supplemental information requested by Housing and Residence Life.
    4. Students may appeal a denial of an Exemption Request in accordance with the Housing and Residence Life appeals process found in the Housing Contract Terms and Conditions.
    5. If a student's Exemption Request is approved, and the student chooses off-campus living arrangements after they have already completed a housing contract with Housing and Residence Life, the student is responsible for the cancellation charges provided for in the housing contract.