- The Environmental, Health, and Safety Department serves as the initiating authority along with the Wichita State University Fire Safety Office.
- This policy provides information, establishes general precautions, and sets guidelines and procedures for anyone who plans to have a Fireworks Display or use Pyrotechnic Special Effects on University Premises.
- Random, unauthorized use of any Fireworks Displays or Pyrotechnic Special Effects on University Premises is prohibited, including consumer grade fireworks sold for use by the general public.
- No fireworks can be possessed, stored or discharged on University Premises by anyone other than persons who possess a State of Kansas Display Operator License and with approval by the University Fire Safety Office.
- No interior Pyrotechnic Special Effects are permitted in any University owned or controlled building or structure.
- No exterior Fireworks Displays or Pyrotechnic Special Effects are allowed on University Premises unless authorized by the University Fire Safety Office. All provisions for a safe Fireworks Display or Pyrotechnic Special Effects as outlined in this policy must be met for these events to be approved.
- Organizations, groups and individuals sponsoring a public display of fireworks or pyrotechnics shall comply with rules, regulations and procedures as outlined in this policy, as well as all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations. Specifically, any event involving Fireworks Displays and Pyrotechnic Special Effects must be held in accordance with the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes and standards, the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office rules and regulations, and the City of Wichita ordinances.
- The University Fire Safety Office personnel’s firsthand knowledge of existing on-site physical conditions will also govern approvals for any event involving a Fireworks Display or Pyrotechnic Special Effect.
- The storage and transportation of fireworks shall comply with current NFPA codes and standards, specifically NFPA 1124.
- The University Fire Safety Office has authority to suspend or terminate Fireworks Displays or Pyrotechnic Special Effects at any time upon their own discretion and/or upon the advice of the Kansas State Fire Marshal, the producer of the event, or the local fire department.
- The prospective locations for Fireworks Displays or Pyrotechnic Special Effects productions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Once a site has been requested for use, it will be inspected by the University Fire Safety Office to determine whether the Fireworks Display and/or Pyrotechnic Special Effects production can be accomplished on that site safely and without damage. At the time of this inspection, the actual size, style, type, and number of fireworks will be reviewed for approval.
- If at any time the wind speed is 20 mph at ground level, or if unusually wet or dry conditions prevail, the exterior public Fireworks Display or Pyrotechnic Special Effects shall be cancelled or postponed until weather conditions improve to an acceptable level as determined by the University Fire Safety Office in its sole discretion.
- For the purpose of this policy only, the following definitions shall apply:
- Display Operator License: A license held by qualified persons who operate outdoor fireworks displays and issued by the Office of Kansas State Fire Marshal in accordance with K.A.R. 22-6-24.
- Event Sponsor: Any individual or group seeking to host an outdoor event involving the use of a Fireworks Display and/or a Pyrotechnic Special Effect.
- Fireworks Display: a private or public production of display fireworks or articles pyrotechnic, or both, which are intended for use and designed to produce visible or audible effects for entertainment purposes by combustion, deflagration, or detonation.
- Pyrotechnic Special Effect: An effect where a chemical mixture is used to produce visible or audible effects by combustion, deflagration, or detonation.
- University: Wichita State University and its controlled affiliate organizations.
- University Premises: University Premises includes University owned land, buildings and vehicles; buildings and land leased by the University from an affiliated corporation or a third party; and any other property controlled by the University that is set forth by agreement that the University may restrict access. University Premises may change from time to time, but they are designated annually in the University’s Annual Security Report and on its website here.
- For the purpose of this policy only, the following definitions shall apply:
Request Permission for any Event from the University Fire Safety Office
- Thirty (30) days prior to any proposed exterior event on University Premises involving a Fireworks Display or Pyrotechnical Special Effects, the Event Sponsor must contact the University Fire Safety Office via telephone at (316) 978-5531/ 5803 to discuss any fireworks or pyrotechnic details and the proposed location of such an event.
- Within five (5) days of the initial verbal contact, the Event Sponsor must submit
a written description and graphic overview of the event, including required clearances
and safety zones, to the University Fire Safety Office, Campus Box 23, 1845 Fairmount
Street, Wichita, KS 67260-0023, or via email to email@example.com.
- The Event Sponsor must also provide the name, address, email, and telephone number of the person(s) or company who will be handling the fireworks or pyrotechnics for the event.
- Only trained, certified and licensed pyrotechnic personnel may be used to discharge a Fireworks Display or any Pyrotechnic Special Effects. A current State of Kansas Display Operator License issued by the State Fire Marshal’s Office is required and a copy must be supplied to the University Fire Safety Office at the time the event sponsor submits copies of its City of Wichita permit pursuant to the procedure in Section V.B. 2, 3.
- The Event Sponsor must also designate and provide the name(s) of person(s) who will ensure compliance with all rules, regulations and procedures as outlined in this policy, as well as all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations.
- The University Fire Safety Office will review any written submissions and provide a preliminary decision in writing to the Event Sponsor generally within five (5) days, but within time for the Event Sponsor to obtain any required City of Wichita approvals and permits if the University Fire Office approves the event.
Obtaining Required City of Wichita Site Inspection, Event Approval, and Permit
- Upon receipt of event approval from the University Fire Safety Office, the Event Sponsor must contact the Wichita Fire Department at least fourteen (14) days prior to the event at (316) 268-4441 or email WichitaFire@wichita.gov to schedule a site inspection and purchase a permit.
- Once the event is approved by the City of Wichita, the Event Sponsor must send a copy of the permit to the University Fire Safety Office, Campus Box 23, 1845 Fairmount Street, Wichita, KS 67260-0023, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The permit must be received by the University Fire Safety Office not less than 5 calendar days prior to the event, or the event is subject to cancellation.
- No event involving Fireworks Displays or Pyrotechnic Special Effects will be allowed on University Premises unless the appropriate approval and permit issued by the City of Wichita is timely received prior to the event by the University Fire Safety Office.
Requirements at the Fireworks or Pyrotechnic Event
- The Event Sponsor must ensure that the event has sufficient staff as required to support it, including staff for fire watches, fire alarm monitoring, and crowd control.
- The Event Sponsor must ensure that adequate fire extinguishing or fire-fighting equipment is available on-site in the event of fire and must coordinate with local fire officials for emergency standby.
- The Event Sponsor shall be responsible for providing an adequate number of staff to monitor the perimeter of the approved discharge site and potential landing areas immediately prior to and during the firing, and until the area is declared safe by the display operator.
- The Event Sponsor must ensure that clean-up of the fireworks area after the event is acceptable to the University.
Applicable Laws And Additional Resources
- K.S.A. 31-170
- K.S.A. 31-501 et. seq.
- K.A.R. 22-6-1 et seq.
- Wichita Ordinance Sec. 15.01.650—Chapter 56, Section 5601.1.3 & Section 5601.2
- NFPA Codes and Standards (Incorporated by reference into K.A.R. 22-6-20):
- Code 1123—Code for Fireworks Display
- Code 1124—Code for the Manufacture, Transportation, and Storage of Fireworks and Pyrotechnic Articles.
- Standard 1126—Standard for the Use of Pyrotechnics Before a Proximate Audience