18.02 / Crime Reporting and Emergency Assistance

  1. Policy

    1. Reporting Crimes

      Wichita State University encourages accurate and prompt reporting of all crimes to the campus police and the appropriate police agencies, when the victim of a crime elects to, or is unable to, make such a report.

      The Wichita State University Police Department (UPD) also encourages students, employees and visitors to contact a member of the UPD to report crimes, or incidents that may or may not be crimes, immediately.

      Contact the UPD by calling (316) 978-3450 or, if calling from a campus phone, dial 911. Time is an extremely important factor in reporting and can mean the difference between a suspect being apprehended or successfully evading law enforcement personnel. In addition to reporting to the UPD, crimes or incidents may also be reported to the Wichita Police Department. To reach the Wichita-Sedgwick County Emergency Communications dispatcher dial 9-911 from a campus phone or 911 from a cell phone or outside line.

    2. Requesting Emergency Assistance

      To request an ambulance, the fire department, or the University Police Department for emergency assistance, call the University Police Department at extension 911 from any campus phone or dial (316) 978-3450 from a cell phone or outside line. Tell the dispatcher the nature of the request, the name of the caller, location and phone number. If the dispatcher asks the caller to hold, the individual should do so if at all possible. The dispatcher will immediately send an officer and other necessary emergency equipment to the location and then return to the caller to obtain necessary additional information. For nonemergency incidents, call the University Police Department at (316) 978-3450. To contact the Wichita-Sedgwick County Emergency Communications from a campus phone, dial 9-911.

      If possible, pull the building alarm system as you leave the building

      To report a situation or condition that poses a threat to the safety and well-being of persons using, passing by or through the facility in question, report it to the fire and safety officer at (316) 978-5531. The officer will investigate the situation and recommend corrective action to the appropriate authorities. After normal business hours, report to the University Police Department dispatcher.