You have several ways of initiating contact with your academic advisor, including email, phone and self-scheduling an appointment. This page provides you with information on:
- How to schedule an academic advising appointment,
- What to expect out of your academic advising appointment, and
- How to prepare for your academic advising appointment.
How to Schedule My Academic Advising Appointment using Navigate
- Contact your advisor as soon as possible when academic or personal challenges arise that may affect your academic plans.
- Academic advisors are available to meet within a reasonable time frame, either in-person or virtually. Appointment times will vary depending on student needs and/or appointment objectives.
- Schedule appointments with your advisor with plenty of advance notice, using the Step-by-Step Instructions below.
Step-by-Step Instructions to Schedule Your Academic Advising Appointment
- Login to your myWSU.
- Click on the Schedule an Advising Appt. link in the Student Tools section. *If an advisor has reached out to you to schedule an appointment, use the link in the yellow box at the top of the page. From there, follow the prompts.
- Click on the blue bar that says Request Tutoring/Advising.
- Answer the questions in the New Appointment section.
- Choose the type of service you want (Academic Advising, Student Services Advising or Success Coaching). Student Services (Specialized) Advisors and Success Coaches cannot authorize enrollment.
- Choose the type of appointment you want (Enrollment, Major Exploration, Other)
- Choose the date on which you want an appointment.
- Click on the blue Find Available Time button. You will skip the Other Appointment Options section.
- Available options that meet the selections you made will appear. You then have the option to add more choices (specific advisor name, specific advising location), but this is not necessary if you see an appointment that meets your needs.
- Select the appointment you want by clicking on the time under the day you want. After selecting your appointment, you will see the details you entered. Notice on this screen, you can choose to receive an email and text reminder for the appointment.
- Select the blue Schedule button at the bottom of the appointment details page. Once the appointment has been scheduled, you will see a screen that says Success!
How to Prepare for My Academic Advising Appointment
- Before an academic advising appointment, it is important that you prepare topics, questions and any other materials you need to help you communicate your needs effectively.
- If you want to discuss registration for an upcoming term, be sure you use the Schedule of Courses and your Degree Works audit to identify classes and CRNs you need to take. Bring that list of courses to your appointment.
- Let your advisor know if you need any accommodations before or during your appointment.
What to Expect During My Academic Advising Appointment
- Arrive on-time to your appointment, with your prepared materials/notes, and silence your cell phone.
- During the appointment, don't shy away from opening up about yourself, your interests, concerns and life aspirations. We are here to support the whole you and we do that best when we know you well.
- Accept responsibility for your decisions and actions that affect your education progress and goals.