Exception to Catalog Regulations
Petition Guidelines & Process
Students may petition in order to seek exceptions to specific academic rules or regulations. Exception petitions are considered first by the student's college committee, then by the university committee. Decisions made by the university committee are final.
Process for Exceptions Requests
Step 1: Student completes the Exceptions Petition Form, signs it, and submits it to the Business Advising Center by the deadline (see deadlines below). Forms may be submitted by mail, fax, or in-person.
Step 2: Complete and include any Addendums as required for your particular situation. Additional information and further instructions regarding these topics can be found below.
By mailWichita State University Business Advising Center 1845 Fairmount, Box 048 Wichita, KS 67260-0048 Fax form to: 316-978-3472 Or in person: Clinton Hall, Room 008, Business Advising Center
Step 3: College Representatives and/or the University Committee will rule on the request.
Step 4: You will be notified the first business day following the decision of the University Exceptions Committee. A results letter will also be mailed to you shortly after the committee meets. Due to Federal Privacy Laws, we cannot release Exceptions Committee results over the telephone.
Complete the online form, print, sign, and then submit your completed packet to the Business Advising Center. The monthly deadlines for submission are below. Additional information regarding readmission, late withdraw, late add, or credit/audit can be found below. Do not email the form as it requires your signature. Electronic signatures are not accepted. Be sure to include appropriate documentation!
Readmission After Dismissal
- Explain the reasons for previous low grades, including circumstances or unusual events which contributed to these grades and include your petition form.
- Prove written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, newspaper clipping, etc.) making sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- State what has occurred since you last attended school and what your plan is for future success.
- Specify particular actions you will take to improve your grade point average if you are accepted by the University. State proposed courses and include enrollment in courses that will improve your study strategies, etc. if appropriate.
- Proved copies of all transcripts if you have attended other schools since being dismissed from Wichita State.
- Indicate if any other circumstances are applicable, such as the need to be enrolled full-time or any employment or military requirements.
Late Withdraw from Courses
- Specify courses (included CRN numbers) and the semester the courses were taken.
- State reason for your late request, including any circumstances or unusual events which may have contributed.
- If your request is selective, explain why you want to withdraw from specific course(s) rather than complete withdrawal from all courses.
- Provide written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, a medical statement, a newspaper clipping) and make sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- Turn in a Request to Late Withdraw form for each course with your petition form. Make sure the instructor completes the bottom portion of the form and signs it.
- Turn in a Drop Slip for each course signed by the instructor(s).
Late Add or Course(s)
Request permission to add specific courses late (include CRN numbers) for specific semester. Your petition must include a Request to Late Add form with the instructor's signature for each course you want to add.
- Specify courses (including CRNs) and semester the courses were taken.
- State the reason for your late request, including any circumstances or unusual events which may have contributed.
- Provide written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, a medical statement, a newspaper clipping) making sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- Turn in a Request to Late Add form for each course with your petition form.
- Make sure that the instructor completes their portion and signs it.
- Turn in an Add Slip for each course signed by the instructor(s).
Change Credit to Audit, or Audit to Credit
A request to change from credit to audit or audit to credit is made after the final date to withdraw from the course with a "W" on the transcript or after the course has been completed. The student is responsible for completing and submitting the following:
- A Request to Change a Credit/Audit form for each course, along with the petition form.
- Make sure the instructor completes the bottom portion of the form(s) and signs it.
- A complete explanation as to why you are making the request.
- Any applicable documentation to support your request.