Exception to Catalog Regulations
Petition Guidelines & Process
Students may petition to seek an Exception to specific academic rules or regulations. Exception petitions are considered first by the student's College Exceptions Committee, then by the University Exceptions Committee. Decisions made by the University Exceptions Committee are final.
Process for Exceptions Requests
STEP 1: Complete and sign the Exceptions Petition Form. Please do not forget to include your one-page Justification Letter! Details on this are included on the bottom of the Exceptions Petition form. Petitions submitted without a justification letter are considered incomplete and will not be presented.
STEP 2: Complete and include any Addendums as required for your particular situation. Additional information and further instructions regarding these topics can be found below.
STEP 3: Submit all documentation to the Business Student Success Center by the deadline (see deadlines below). Forms may be submitted by mail, by email, or in-person.
STEP 4: The College Exceptions Committee and the University Exceptions Committee will rule on the request.
STEP 5: You will be notified or your results via WSU student email following the decision of the University Exceptions Committee. Due to Federal Privacy Laws, we cannot release Exceptions Committee results over the telephone or to an email address other than your secure WSU student email. If your WSU student email address is inactive, please visit: https://www.wichita.edu/services/its/userservices/HD_New/smail1.php.
Complete the online form, print, sign, and then submit your completed packet to the Business Student Success Center. The monthly deadlines for submission are below. Additional information regarding readmission, late withdraw, late add, or credit/audit can also be found below.
Exceptions Committee Meeting
2023-2024 Academic Year Schedule
*Note: The Final Submission Deadline is a firm deadline. Petitions submitted after this day and time will be presented the following month.
Final Submission Deadline*
Friday by 12:00 pm (Noon)
Tuesday at 1:30 pm
Thursday at 2:00 pm
Verdict sent via WSU Student Email
Friday by 5:00 pm
|August 11||August 15||
|September 8||September 12||September 14||September 15|
|October 13||October 17||October 19||October 20|
|November 10||November 14||November 16||November 17|
|December 8||December 12||December 14||December 15|
|January 5||January 9||
|February 9||February 13||February 15||February 16|
|March 15||March 19||March 21||March 22|
|April 12||April 16||April 18||April 19|
|May 10||May 14||May 16||May 17|
|June 7||June 11||June 13||June 14|
|July 12||July 16||July 18||July 19|
Readmission After Dismissal
- Explain the reasons for previous low grades, including circumstances or unusual events which contributed to these grades and include your petition form.
- Provide written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, newspaper clipping, etc.) making sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- State what has occurred since you last attended school and what your plan is for future success.
- Specify particular actions you will take to improve your grade point average if you are accepted by the University. State proposed courses and include enrollment in courses that will improve your study strategies, etc. if appropriate.
- Provide copies of all transcripts if you have attended other schools since being dismissed from Wichita State.
- Indicate if any other circumstances are applicable, such as the need to be enrolled full-time or any employment or military requirements.
Late Withdraw from Courses
- Specify courses (included CRN numbers) and the semester the courses were taken.
- State reason for your late request, including any circumstances or unusual events which may have contributed.
- If your request is selective, explain why you want to withdraw from specific course(s) rather than complete withdrawal from all courses.
- Provide written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, a medical statement, a newspaper clipping) and make sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- Turn in a Request to Late Withdraw form for each course with your petition form. Make sure the instructor completes the bottom portion of the form and signs it.
- Turn in a Drop Slip for each course signed by the instructor(s).
Late Add or Course(s)
Request permission to add specific courses late (include CRN numbers) for specific semester. Your petition must include a Request to Late Add form with the instructor's signature for each course you want to add.
- Specify courses (including CRNs) and semester the courses were taken.
- State the reason for your late request, including any circumstances or unusual events which may have contributed.
- Provide written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, a medical statement, a newspaper clipping) making sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- Turn in a Request to Late Add form for each course with your petition form.
- Make sure that the instructor completes their portion and signs it.
- Turn in an Add Slip for each course signed by the instructor(s).
Change Credit to Audit, or Audit to Credit
A request to change from credit to audit or audit to credit is made after the final date to withdraw from the course with a "W" on the transcript or after the course has been completed. The student is responsible for completing and submitting the following:
- A Request to Change a Credit/Audit form for each course, along with the petition form.
- Make sure the instructor completes the bottom portion of the form(s) and signs it.
- A complete explanation as to why you are making the request.
- Any applicable documentation to support your request.