Exception to Catalog Regulations
Petition Guidelines & Process
Students may petition to seek an Exception to specific academic rules or regulations. Exception petitions are considered first by the student's College Exceptions Committee, then by the University Exceptions Committee. Decisions made by the University Exceptions Committee are final.
Process for Exceptions Requests
STEP 1: Complete and sign the Exceptions Petition Form. Please do not forget to include your one-page Justification Letter! Details on this are included on the bottom of the Exceptions Petition form. Petitions submitted without a justification letter are considered incomplete and will not be presented.
STEP 2: Complete and include any Addendums as required for your particular situation. Additional information and further instructions regarding these topics can be found below.
STEP 3: Submit all documentation to the Business Student Success Center by the deadline (see deadlines below). Forms may be submitted by mail, by email, or in-person.
STEP 4: The College Exceptions Committee and the University Exceptions Committee will rule on the request.
STEP 5: You will be notified or your results via WSU student email following the decision of the University Exceptions Committee. Due to Federal Privacy Laws, we cannot release Exceptions Committee results over the telephone or to an email address other than your secure WSU student email. If your WSU student email address is inactive, please visit: https://www.wichita.edu/services/its/userservices/HD_New/smail1.php.
Complete the online form, print, sign, and then submit your completed packet to the Business Student Success Center. The monthly deadlines for submission are below. Additional information regarding readmission, late withdraw, late add, or credit/audit can also be found below.
Exceptions Committee Meeting
2022-2023 Academic Year Schedule
*Note: The Final Submission Deadlines are firm deadlines. Petitions submitted after this day and time will be presented the following month.
|Priority Submission Deadline (Monday by 5:00 pm)||Final Submission Deadline* (Friday by 12:00 pm)||College Meeting
(Tuesday at 1:00 pm)
(Thursday at 2:00 pm)
|Verdict sent via WSU Student Email (Friday by 5:00 pm)|
|August 8||August 12||August 16||August 18||August 19|
|September 5||September 9||September 13||September 15||September 16|
|October 3||October 7||October 11||October 13||October 14|
|November 7||November 11||November 15||November 17||November 18|
|December 5||December 9||December 13||December 15||December 16|
|January 2||January 6||January 10||January 11||January 13|
|February 13||February 17||February 21||February 23||February 24|
|March 13||March 17||March 21||March 23||March 24|
|April 3||April 7||April 11||April 13||April 14|
|May 1||May 5||May 9||May 11||May 12|
|June 5||June 9||June 13||June 15||June 16|
|July 3||July 7||July 11||July 13||July 14|
Readmission After Dismissal
- Explain the reasons for previous low grades, including circumstances or unusual events which contributed to these grades and include your petition form.
- Prove written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, newspaper clipping, etc.) making sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- State what has occurred since you last attended school and what your plan is for future success.
- Specify particular actions you will take to improve your grade point average if you are accepted by the University. State proposed courses and include enrollment in courses that will improve your study strategies, etc. if appropriate.
- Proved copies of all transcripts if you have attended other schools since being dismissed from Wichita State.
- Indicate if any other circumstances are applicable, such as the need to be enrolled full-time or any employment or military requirements.
Late Withdraw from Courses
- Specify courses (included CRN numbers) and the semester the courses were taken.
- State reason for your late request, including any circumstances or unusual events which may have contributed.
- If your request is selective, explain why you want to withdraw from specific course(s) rather than complete withdrawal from all courses.
- Provide written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, a medical statement, a newspaper clipping) and make sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- Turn in a Request to Late Withdraw form for each course with your petition form. Make sure the instructor completes the bottom portion of the form and signs it.
- Turn in a Drop Slip for each course signed by the instructor(s).
Late Add or Course(s)
Request permission to add specific courses late (include CRN numbers) for specific semester. Your petition must include a Request to Late Add form with the instructor's signature for each course you want to add.
- Specify courses (including CRNs) and semester the courses were taken.
- State the reason for your late request, including any circumstances or unusual events which may have contributed.
- Provide written documentation (i.e. letter from physician or employer, a medical statement, a newspaper clipping) making sure pertinent dates are clearly indicated.
- Turn in a Request to Late Add form for each course with your petition form.
- Make sure that the instructor completes their portion and signs it.
- Turn in an Add Slip for each course signed by the instructor(s).
Change Credit to Audit, or Audit to Credit
A request to change from credit to audit or audit to credit is made after the final date to withdraw from the course with a "W" on the transcript or after the course has been completed. The student is responsible for completing and submitting the following:
- A Request to Change a Credit/Audit form for each course, along with the petition form.
- Make sure the instructor completes the bottom portion of the form(s) and signs it.
- A complete explanation as to why you are making the request.
- Any applicable documentation to support your request.