What is 3MT®?
In the 3MT® Competition, each student summarizes the importance and impact of their research in just three minutes.
The next 3MT® at Wichita State University will be held on November 13, 2021, on the 2nd floor of the Rhatigan Student Center. Students will be divided into preliminary heats. Heat winners will move on to the final round of judging later that afternoon.
Any graduate student enrolled in master's, PhD, or doctoral programs may compete. A student's program of study must contain an original research project. The degree program need not normally require a thesis or dissertation, however the presentation topic must cover an original research project. You must be enrolled during the fall semester to participate in the competition! Fall graduates are eligible to participate, but please note that the WSU winner is expected to present at a conference the following Spring.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or movement of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted. No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to three minutes maximum. Competitors exceeding three minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoke word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Tentative schedule for 3MT® 2021
November 12, 2:00 PM: Heat judging in breakout rooms to be assigned
November 12, 4:00 PM: Final judging in Santa Fe Room