Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is an employment program intended to pay at least minimum wage for the hours you work. A variety of positions are available, including some with community service. This program is available to both undergraduate and graduate students. Your award is an estimate of your eligibility, not a guaranteed award. The actual amount you receive depends on finding employment, the hourly wage, and the number of hours you work. You must enroll at least half-time to be employed in this program.

For more information about available positions contact the WSU Office of Career Development in Brennan Hall III, at 316-978-3435, or visit them online at www.wichita.edu/careers. You may apply for available positions online through Handshake. After selecting a position that interests you, contact the department to request an interview.

If hired, you must complete the necessary employment forms before beginning work. Your employer will determine the number of hours you may work per week and the hourly rate of pay. Work-study students may work up to 20 hours per week during in-session periods and up to 40 hours per week during official break periods, per department approval.

FWS is a campus-based federal work program with limited funding. To be considered for FWS at Wichita State, you must complete the FAFSA by our early application priority date of December 1, have indicated on the FAFSA an interest in student employment, and have financial need. Once you have been awarded FWS, it is your responsibility to find on-campus employment. FWS funds are earned through employment and are paid through bi-weekly paychecks. FWS earnings are not applied to your student tuition/housing bills.

Student working in a bio-chemistry lab