- Ph.D. in Engineering and Applied Science from Idaho State University, 2014
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering Design from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India 2007
- B.SC. in Mechanical Engineering from Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia 2004.
Dr. Yimesker Yihun is an associate professor in the Mechanical Engineering Department at Wichita State University (WSU). He has worked in academia being a lecturer at Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia and a researcher at University of Salerno, Italy. He is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
He has established a robotics and control research laboratory at Wichita State University. In his lab, researches are conducted broadly in the area of Kinematic synthesis, Robot Assisted Rehabilitation, Control System Design, and Human-Machine Interface. His researches have been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the Kansas Board of Regents, and Wichita State University. He is also engaged in education related researches to empower future generations of engineers with problem solving, research, and self-directed-learning (SDL) skills.
Robot kinematics, Control System Design, Human-Robot Interaction (HRI) in physiotherapeutic applications, Applied Mechanics,and Spatial Mechanism Syntheses applied to multi-fingered robotic hands and exoskeletons for rehabilitation.
- Yimesker Yihun, Visharath Adhikari, Amirhossein Majidirad, Jaydip Desai, "Task Based Knee Rehabilitation with Assist-as-needed Control Strategy and Recovery Tracking System"ASME Journal of Engineering and Science in Medical Diagnostics and Therapy, JESMDT-19-1051, (02/20/2020) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4046400
- M. Hassan, M. Ahlstedt, Yimesker Yihun, "Design of Inverse Dynamics Tracking Control System and Voice Based Interfacing
Mechanism to the WMRA," International Journal of Dynamics and Control, 2017. 1-11-1
of 15, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40435
- Amirhossein Majidirad, Yimesker Yihun, Laila Cure, "Towards an Integrated Intervention and Assessment of Robot-Based Rehabilitation ", ASME Journal of Engineering and Science in Medical Diagnostics and Therapy, JESMDT-19-1046, (02/28/2020) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4046475
- Yihun Yimesker, Bosworth Ken W., Perez-Gracia Alba.” Link-Based Performance Optimization of Spatial Mechanisms” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design. Vol. 136, 122303 (2014) (11 pages); Paper No: MD-14-1190; doi:10.1115/1.4028304
- Omid Heidari, Eric T Wolbrecht, Alba Perez-Gracia, and Yimesker Yihun," A task-based design methodology for robotic exoskeletons", Journal of Rehabilitation and Assistive Technologies Engineering, Volume 5: 1–12 DOI: 10.1177/2055668318800672
- Ph.D. in Engineering & Applied Science ,Idaho State University, 2014.
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering , Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India 2007.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering , Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia, 2004.
- Received $ 25,000.00 research grant from the WSU Regional Institute on Aging (RIA) for the project, "Integration of Human Factors with the Automation of Robot-Based Upper-Limb Rehabilitations", 02/21/2020-02/20/2021.Dr. Lisa Vangsness (PI), Dr. Yimesker Yihun (Co:PI)
- Received $ 299,997.00 research grant from National Science Foundation (NSF), CBET
for the project ”Bio-inspired Exoskeletons and Safety in Human-Exoskeleton Cooperation.",
July 15, 2019-July 2022. Dr. Yihun (PI), Dr. Nils Hakansson (Co-PI), and Dr. Jaydip Desai (Co-PI)
- Received Kansas NASA EPSCoR Seed Research Initiation (SRI) grant on Development
of a Neuro-Virtual Interface System to Evaluate Astronauts’ Cognitive Performance in
Space, Award: $183,744.00 (WSU match: $56,144)), April 15, 2019-April 2020. Dr. Jaydip Desai (PI), Dr. Yimesker Yihun (Co-PI), and Dr. James Steck (Co-PI)
- $4,000 Award for a Research/Creative project (ARC) titled "Bioinspired Adaptive Anti-
Aging Muscle Strength Booster Exoskeleton for Knee Rehabilitation", 5/1/19-8/31/19. Dr. Yihun (PI)
- $7,500 Award for a Multidisciplinary Research Project (MURPA) titled "Investigating
the Dielectric Elastomer Artificial Muscle for Exoskeleton Application", 1/1/16-6/15/16.Dr. Chen (PI) and Dr. Yihun (Co:PI)
- $4,500 Award for a University Research/Creative Project (URCA) titled “Design of an
Innovative Modular Foldable Mechanized Windshield Cover”, 12/1/15-12/31/16. Dr. Yihun (PI)