As the saying goes, business owners do not plan to fail, they just fail to plan. Taking the time to develop a business plan will help you succeed.
Why write a business plan? A business plan helps you
- focus your ideas
- determine your financial needs
- secure financing
- map a strategy for success
How do you write a business plan? Use our Business Plan Outline and follow these steps:
- Answer the questions asked in the Business Plan Outline in paragraph format beginning with the Description of Business section. You will write the Executive Summary last.
- Skip questions that do not apply to your business and mark questions that you want to discuss with your WSU Kansas SBDC Advisor.
- Be detailed. Use the internet, pick up the phone, and take other steps to get the information you need.
- Be accurate. Include documents or explanations for every number in your cash flow.
- Be brief. Provide details, but keep your responses short and to the point.
- Get help! Your WSU Kansas SBDC Advisor will work closely with you to review your drafts
and make suggestions for changes and next steps.
The Kansas Small Business Development Center at Wichita State University is funded in part through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.