When upgrading your device or simply returning an old device to the University, it must be wiped clear of all data. This is to ensure University data is not compromised. It also allows us to recycle the device. Below are the steps you should take to wipe your phone of all data. Remember to backup, remove accounts and lock screens, then wipe the device.
Step 1: Back up your data
- Connect your iOS device to stable Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings > [your name], and tap iCloud.
- Tap iCloud Backup.
- Tap Back Up Now. Stay connected to your Wi-Fi network until the process completes.
Step 2: Sign out of your Apple ID and turn off services
- Go to settings
- Your Name
- Scroll Down and tap 'Sign Out'
- You will be promoted to enter your password
Step 3: Restore your factory settings
- Open Settings
- Erase All Content and Settings
- Confirm your choice
back to top
Step 1: Remove Screen Lock
- Open the Settings app.
- Open the Lock Screen option.
- On older Operating Systems (4.4 - 5)
- Select the My Device or Device tab from the top of the Settings, and look for Lock Screen under Personalization.
- On newer Operating Systems (6+)
- Scroll down onthe page until you find Lock Screen or Lock Screen & Security - the
icon has a little padlock on it.
- Select Screen Lock or Screen Lock type.
- Enter your current Lock Screen credentials.
- Select your new Lock Screen type as None.
Step 2: Remove your Google Account
- Tap on Settings.
- Scrolls down and tap on Clouds and accounts.
- Tap Accounts. A list of accounts on your phone appears.
- Tap Google.
- Tap at the top right corner of the screen symbol with dotted line.
- Tap remove account.
- Confirm to remove account.
Step 3: Remove Samsung account (If any)
- Its the same like removing google account instead of selecting google we choose "Samsung" account after we tap Accounts.
Step 4: Wipe the Device
- Open settings app.
- Scroll down and tap Backup and reset If you don't see this option on the Settings menu, look for General management. On some devices, the Reset option will be under this submenu.
- Tap factory data reset.
- Reset device.
- Erase everything.
back to top