15.04 / Shipping

  1. Policy

    1. Shipments off Campus

      1. United States Postal Service/Federal Express/United Parcel Service

        The Campus Post Office handles all packages to be shipped by the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), Federal Express (FedEx) and United Parcel Service (UPS). Packages to be shipped by USPS can be no heavier than 70 pounds, nor exceed 130 inches in length and girth. Packages to be shipped by FedEx or UPS can be no heavier than 150 pounds, nor exceed 108 inches in length or 165 inches with length and girth combined. Homeland Security requirements dictate that departments sending items by FedEx or UPS must use the ShipRequest Program available from the Campus Post Office.

      2. Other Freight

        The Campus Services Supervisor at the Physical Plant should be called when a department has a package for shipping that exceeds the size limitations set forth above. The Campus Services Supervisor will arrange to pick the package up from the department. If special shipping services or a specific truck line are required, the department should make the arrangements with the shipper. If the shipment requires crating, the carpenter shop will build the crate with a fee assessed to the department. Campus Services does not provide packing services.

      3. Hazardous Materials

        Hazardous materials must be packaged and marked in accordance with the Code of Federal Regulations, 40 CFR, parts 260 to 299 entitled Protection of the Environment, and all applicable Department of Transportation federal and state regulations. Before shipping any hazardous material, contact the University's Director of Environmental Health and Safety.

    2. Shipments to Campus

      Shipping Billed to the University: Departments can have items shipped to them via FedEx or UPS and have the shipping costs billed to the University. Departments must call the Campus Post Office to get the FedEx or UPS account number. Once the Campus Post Office receives the shipping bill for the shipped item, it will be charged to the receiving department.

    3. International Shipments

      1. Any shipments that go from WSU to a location outside of the U.S. or from a location outside of the U.S. to WSU are subject to international shipping requirements. There are multiple U.S. and foreign laws that regulate these transactions.

      2. All international shipments made in association with University connected activities are to be reviewed prior to shipment by the Research Compliance Office. This is necessary as international shipments may require a U.S. export license and can also be subject to taxes and other regulations of the country to which the items are being shipped. The Research Compliance Office will determine if an item or document for international shipment is export-controlled, apply for a license if needed and complete the Automated Commercial Environment (ACE) filing (for items valued at $2,500 and over). Any taxes or fines are the responsibility of the shipper. The license process is outside the control of the University, so it is requested that as much notice as possible be given to the Research Compliance Office prior to the desired ship date. For further information about international shipments and U.S. Customs matters, contact the Research Compliance Office via its Export Compliance web page or call (316) 978-COMP (2667).