Minutes of the Wichita State University Faculty Senate
Monday, September 23, 2013
CH 126 3:30 pm
Accepted 11/11/13 as revised -- see Old Business
Members Present: Baker, Barut, Bergman, Brooks, Bryant, Castro, Celestin, Close, Decker, Driessen, Handeh, Hanawalt, Horn, Hull, Klunder, Lewis, Matveyeva, Miller, Mosack, Oare, Rillema, Rokosz, Ross, Taher, Yildirim, Yu
Members Absent: Alexander, Anderson, Kagdi, Kreinath, Liu, Lu, Markova, Moore-Jansen, Trechak
Members Excused: Houseman, Johnson, Yeager
Summary of Action
1. Accepted Committee appointments to Faculty Senate Standing Committees (see Committee Reports, Rules)
2. Accepted new Senators (see Committee Reports , Rules)
I. Call to Order
President Victoria Mosack called the meeting to order at 3:30pm
II. Informal Statements and Proposals – President Mosack welcomed all senators, especially the newly elected senators, back for the new academic year and the work of the 2013-14 Senate. She also welcomed Tony Vizzini, Vice President of Academic Affairs, to his first meeting of the Wichita state Faculty Senate.
III. Approval of the Minutes
The minutes of the final meeting of the 2012-13 Faculty Senate, May 13, 2013 were approved.
The minutes of the Election meeting of the 2013-14 Faculty Senate, May 13, 2013 were also approved.
IV. President’s Report
President Mosack shared some information and insights into some of the early initiatives of the Faculty Senate:
• The Faculty Senate website continues to be updated and expanded. It currently contains such items as calendar events, agendas and minutes of Faculty Senate meetings and Faculty Senate committee meetings. All senators are encouraged to check it out.
• A Mini Open House has been scheduled for the Rhatigan Student Center for next week.
• KBOR representatives will visit the campus October 7. They will be meeting with several constituent groups including representatives from the Faculty Senate. The President’s office will provide further details of the visit later.
• Likewise, representatives of the Kansas Legislature will visit the campus October 23.
• VPAA Tony Vizzini will be the featured speaker at the AAUP meeting at 3:00 pm, Friday, September 27.
• President Mosack restated the goals of the Senate established last year: be the voice of the faculty, increase the visibility of the Senate, accept the responsibilities of share governance, provide consultation and consent of University policies, and be active participants in strategic planning.
• President Mosack summarized the major campus initiatives put forward by President Bardo: creation of a “one stop” student service center, establish a parking management strategy, new residence hall to be completed August 2014, Perimeter road to be relocated and an open-air mall to be created, and an expansion of space for both engineering and business.
V. Committee Reports
Mehmet Barut, Chair of the Rules Committee, brought forward the following nominees from the Rules committee to fill vacancies on the Senate Standing Committees:
|Academic Affairs||Rodney Boehme||Business -- 2016|
|Janet Twomey||Engineering -- 2016|
|Ho Lop-Hing||LAS Math/Natural Sciences -- 2016|
|Faculty Affairs||Prakash Ramanan||Engineering -- 2016|
|Jens Kreinath||LAS Social Sciences -- 2016|
|General Education||Chris Broberg||Business -- 2014|
|Janice Ewing||Education -- 2016|
|Faculty Support||Viktor Isakov||LAS Math/Natural Sciences -- 2014|
|Susan Parsons||Health Professions -- 2016|
|Sara Taylor||LAS Social Sciences -- 2016|
|Mehmet Yildirim||Engineering -- 2016|
|Library||Ngoyi Bukonda||Health Professions -- 2016|
|Triuvadi Ravigururajan||Engineering -- 2016|
|Court of Academic Appeals||Kirsten Johnson-- alt||Fine Arts -- 2016|
|Laura Zellers -- alt||Business -- 2016|
|Noel Birondo -- full||LAS Humanities -- 2016|
|Honors||Jeremy Patterson||Education -- 2015|
|Roy Myose||Engineering -- 2016|
|Anthony DiLollo||Health Professions -- 2016|
|Rules||Atul Rai||Business -- 2014|
|Julie Bees||Fine Arts -- 2016|
|Daniel Bergman||Education -- 2016|
|Kathy Strattman||Health Professions -- 2016|
|Scholarship & Student Aid||Semih Tartaroglu||Business -- 2016|
|Selim Giray||Fine Arts -- 2016|
|Li Yao||LAS Math/Natural Sciences -- 2016|
|Tenure & Promotion||Susan Sterrett - at large||2015|
|Undergraduate Research||Ramazan Asmatulu||Engineering -- 2016|
|Kay Gibson||Education -- 2016|
|J J Pionke||University Libraries -- 2016|
|University Exceptions||Rachel Crane||University Libraries -- 2016|
|John Perry||Business -- 2016|
The Senate voted to accept these nominees with no dissent. Vacancies still remain
on the following Standing Committees:
|Academic Affairs||Health Professions|
|Faculty Affairs||LAS Humanities|
|General Education||Fine Arts|
|LAS Math/Natural Sciences|
|LAS Math/Natural Sciences|
|:Undergraduate Research||LAS Math/Natural Sciences|
Senator Barut presented the following to fill vacancies on the Faculty Senate:
|Michael Hanawalt||Fine Arts||At-Large||2015|
|Debra Pile||Health Professions||Nursing||2014|
|Kellie Thiessen||Health Professions||Nursing||2015|
All were accepted.
Senator Barut noted that there are still four Senate vacancies:
2 in LAS Humanities, 1 in LAS Social Sciences and 1 in Business, Marketing
VI. Old Business –
A. Post Tenure Review Policy: The Policy developed by the Faculty Affairs Committee and approved by the Senate last spring was reviewed by VPAA Vizzini and forwarded to the President for his acceptance. He returned the document to President Mosack with suggested modifications. President Mosack and Senator Bob Ross revised the policy to accommodate the suggestions; returned it to the VPAA, who reviewed, concurred and forwarded the revised version to General Counsel Ayres for his approval before be sent to the President for his approval.
B. Policies and Procedures 5.06 – Resolution of Internal Disputes
has been reviewed by VPAA Vizzini and as is stated in KBOR Policy has been sent to the University Attorney for review-- “A copy of all institutional grievance procedures shall be provided to the institution’s
general counsel for review prior to becoming effective.”
C. Policy on Application of Credit Hours to Multiple Degrees – was returned to the Academic Affairs committee
VII. New Business
Vice President Vizzini reported on the current progress toward an Honors College. As of September 23, 2013, the proposal for an honors college has been presented to the KBOR which approved the proposal. The plan calls for the college to officially start in the fall of 2014. The money allocated for the Dean’s Scholars program will be re-directed to the new college. The Honors Committee will host an open house October 19 and a rendering of the new college will be unveiled at that time
Vice President Vizzini thanked the faculty for supporting President Bardo’s strategic planning retreat detailing the Phase II plans for the strategic planning exercise. More than 300 people attended the meeting.
Vice President Vizzini announced some of the plans associated with Wichita State’s move toward an “One Stop” policy. The intent is to be more attuned to the needs of the adult learners in the community by adjusting the normal hours of the university in order to provide some services in the 5pm to 7pm period of each work day. He encouraged all senators to provide him with suggestions for improvements of the system.
VIII. As May Arise
The next meeting of the Faculty Senate will be Oct 28, 2013.
The meeting of the Faculty Senate was adjourned at 4:09pm.
Submitted by Walter Horn
Secretary of the Faculty Senate