The Application for Degree (AFD) informs the Graduate School of your plans to complete your degree requirements in a given semester and triggers an audit of your student record to determine if all requirements have been met.

When to submit

During the semester you plan to complete all your degree requirements, you must file an Application for Degree with Exit Survey and pay the $25 filing fee. This needs to be done no later than the 20th day of classes for any fall or spring semester, or no later than the 10th day of classes (of the regular eight-week session) for the summer semester.


When you file your AFD, your degree requirements must be met by the completion deadlines for that semester. Failure to meet those deadlines will require a new AFD and $25 filing fee for the next semester your plan to complete your degree requirements. Each time you delay degree completion, a new AFD and $25 filing fee is required by the published deadline for that semester. The Exit Survey is only required once.

Degree completion deadlines

Application for Graduate Certificate

If you're filing an Application for Graduate Certificate (AFGC), you will follow the same process outlined above for the AFD. The Exit Survey is only required if you're also submitting an AFD at the same time. Graduate Certificates require an approved plan of study to be awarded. You're permitted to file one AFD and one or more AFGC forms at the same time. Each separate time that an AFD or AFGC form is submitted, the $25 filing fee will be charged.

How do I file?

Submission of the AFD, AFGC, Exit Survey and the $25 filing fee is to be completed online. The process is easy and clear and allows you to validate your information as you proceed through the online system.

Once you're ready to file your AFD or AFGC (or both), log into the myWSU Portal, and click on the “My Classes” tab. On the right hand side of the My Classes page, near the middle, you will see a channel called "Graduation Links." Click on the appropriate link in that channel to proceed.

Paying the filing fee

Please be aware that you must pay the $25 fee using a credit or debit card. If you don't have a credit or debit card, you won't be able to file electronically. If that's the case, please contact the Graduate School office for assistance.