Our mission is to serve as the University's primary point of contact with elected and appointed local, state and federal government officials. The office develops strategies and activities to ensure consideration by federal, state and local government officials of university and other public proposals appropriations. In addition, it holds the charge of overseeing and implementing legislative and regulatory relationships with the Congress, State Legislature, City Council and County Commission, and governmental offices and agencies at all levels.
This charge is carried out through the following goals:
- Seek and pursue opportunities to advance the research and public service mission of the university.
- Identify and secure adequate financial support to allow the university to fulfill its metropolitan mission.
- Provide an official point of contact for federal, state, and local elected and appointed officials.
- Initiate and participate in the development of research and higher education policy discussions at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Provide assistance to administration, faculty, and staff in working through the legislative process.
- Monitor regulatory and legislative activities at all levels of government.
- Maintain up-to-date or legislative information for use by university personnel.
For inquiries about current legislation and executive actions, or communications with governmental officials use the Questions and comments feedback form.
Use of this Site
You can find useful information and URL links using the navigation links along the left side. You can select the level of government you are interested and you will find helpful links. If you have additional questions please contact Zach Gearhart, Director of Government Relations with the provided feedback form.
Access to Legislation and the Government Information
The Office of Government Relations maintains subscriptions with various information services, and can provide the status and full text of various items of current interest. These include U.S. and State of Kansas bill digests, current status of bills, and their full text (available by keywords: bill number, words in title, words in text, sponsoring legislator, etc.).