Crisis services for Wichita State University students


  • Call 911 or the University Police at 316-978-3450
  • Go to the Via Christi-St. Joseph Emergency Room located at 3600 E. Harry, Wichita, Kansas

Students who are experiencing a psychological or emotional crisis often need immediate help and intervention. Some examples of serious crises include:

  1. suicidal or homicidal thoughts or impulses
  2. sexual or physical assault
  3. hearing voices or otherwise misperceiving reality
  4. overwhelming loss, such as a death in the family

Listed below are services available in crisis situations.

  • WSU Counseling and Prevention Services (316-978-4SWC) -- CAPS provides crisis intervention services from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call or come to the Student Wellness Center and MAKE IT CLEAR THAT YOU ARE IN CRISIS. Every effort will be made to respond as soon as possible. If you are in ongoing treatment at the CAPS, you may ask to speak to your regular counselor or another counselor will assist you if your regular counselor is not available.

  • COMCARE of Sedgwick County Crisis Line (316-660-7500) -- This is a 24-hour crisis hotline available to all residents of Wichita and surrounding areas. Trained counselors staff the hotline and will help you manage a crisis situation.

Guidelines for dealing with potential suicide

IMMEDIATELY CONTACT 911 FOR URGENT ASSISTANCE if there is imminent danger of the person hurting him/herself (such as their having already taken an overdose or having a gun, knife or other dangerous object in their possession and making threats against him/herself or against others, etc.). The local police can do a safety check and can help bring the person to an emergency room for further evaluation and safety.

  • Be direct. Talk openly and matter-of-factly about suicide

  • Don't try to minimize the situation by telling the person how well off he/she is compared to others

  • Don't minimize importance of the person's feelings

  • Don't argue with the person

  • Don't be judgmental or moralizing about the situation

  • Don't be sworn to secrecy

  • Don't deal with the suicidal person alone. Seek support by calling a national hotline at 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433), checking for your local resources at Suicide Hotlines or contacting the local COMCARE of Sedgwick County Crisis Line at 316-660-7500


  • Don't leave the person alone

  • Try to make certain that the person does not have access to any harmful objects or substances

  • If the person is not in immediate danger of hurting him or herself, help the person arrange to be seen by a counselor at the local mental health center or, if a WSU student in Wichita, KS, call Counseling and Prevention Services at 316-978-4SWC (4792) during normal business hours

Counseling and Prevention Services

Wu on Fade Background

Get back to Counseling and Prevention home.

Front Desk Check in

Learn more about speaking with a counselor at CAPS!


If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, follow this link for more info.