Email Setup for M365
Faculty / Staff Email Maintenance
What's Happening and Why?
Information Technology Services is doing maintenance on Wichita State email accounts to improve integration with Microsoft 365 and expand mailbox size.
This is necessary to modernize Wichita State's communication technology and better meet the needs of those working, learning, and teaching remotely. It will offer better integration and flexibility between Microsoft applications.
Who is affected?
The maintenance will affect all faculty and staff email users whether they use WSU email through desktop, mobile clients, or web browsers.
You should not see any changes during the maintenance process. Your WSU email should continue to function normally.
What to expect after
Once maintenance is complete, you may receive a notification that states “The Microsoft Exchange Administrator has made a change that requires you to quit and restart Outlook.” Please restart Outlook and login if necessary. See below for additional information.
Changes you may notice:
- User name will change from AD\WSUID to your myWSUID@wichita.edu
- An increase in mailbox storage — including inbox, sent items, deleted items, and subfolders.
- An automatic online archive option
- Access to the webmail using a web browser changed to O365.wichita.edu and select Outlook from the list of Microsoft Icons.
- You may notice additional features and icons in Outlook, Teams, and SharePoint.
Features and processes that will NOT change:
- Email address
- Contacts, Tasks, and Calendar events
- Share Calendar access
- View settings in Outlook
Trouble access your account?
Potential actions that may be needed:
- Outlook for Windows platform – After maintenance is complete it is recommended that you restart Outlook. You may receive a popup stating that the Administrator has made a change requiring a restart. Please restart Outlook and login if necessary. Even if it doesn’t prompt you to restart Outlook you may not receive new email until you do.
- Outlook for Mac platform - After maintenance is complete it is recommended that you restart Outlook. You may receive a popup stating that the Administrator has made a change requiring a restart. Please restart Outlook and login if necessary. Even if it doesn’t prompt you to restart Outlook you may not receive new email until you do. Click here for instructions.
- Outlook for iOS & Android – The Outlook App on IOS and Android should automatically reconfigure as long as it was set up using the current authentication process: email@example.com. If it was setup using ‘ad\myWSUID’ it will need to be reconfigured. Please visit Outlook Mobile Setup Instructions (wichita.edu) for addition information. NOTE: Outlook for Mobile is the chosen email application supported.
- Webmail access: To access your email using a web browser, use O365.wichita.edu and select Outlook from the list of Microsoft icons.
- Other mobile email clients: The experience for other email clients and mobile devices may vary depending on application
versions, and when the account was added. You should make sure the username in your
settings is configured in the format firstname.lastname@example.org (rather than other formats such as AD\mywsuid). You may have to remove your WSU email
account and re-add to continue accessing your email account.
** DO NOT manually configure the email account, allow the email client to automatically configure your WSU email account during setup.
If utilizing mobile device default email application click here to reconfigure your mobile devices . How to setup your email on iOS Apple mail app.
Email Maintenance: Frequently Asked Questions
All faculty & staff email accounts including any generic email accounts like department accounts, or student employee accounts will be updated as well.
The updated Faculty & Staff O365 email accounts come with a generous online archived email option. Please contact the Help Desk to set up a ticket to work with Desktop Services and have your locally saved archived email (pst files) moved to the updated email account.