One Shocker Family is committed to being here for you and your student throughout your college journey. At Wichita State, we want parents and family to feel engaged and connected.
May starts as a month of high pressure for most students. It’s easy for all of us to neglect our bodies and minds when things get busy. Yet, things like exercise, good nutrition, positive self-talk and adequate sleep provide the energy needed to be successful. It is not unusual for students to take their good health for granted — yet scare tactics reminding of all the negative consequences of poor health rarely motivate for long. Remind students that self-care recharges the mind and produces better results.
How Can Families Help?
- Remind your student that Campus Recreation and the Y’s facilities are free of charge to fee-paying students. A variety of exercise equipment and activities are available at convenient hours.
- Positive attitudes really do make a difference. Encourage your student to see hurdles as opportunities to learn.
- Keep the lines of communication open. One of the best coping strategies for students is talking to people they trust.
- Give care packages with snacks, multivitamins and encouraging notes.
- Encourage your student to seek out the assistance of professors if needed.
Looking for Something?
Move In Day myWSU Course Schedule Academic Advising Writing Center Parking Reporting a Crisis Situation Shocker Alert Family Weekend Suicide Prevention Resources