Requesting a Tutor
Before applying for a tutor please READ:
- Our goal is to match you with a tutor that you can work with throughout the semester to assist you with your academic goals.
- It can take up to 48 hours to be matched with a tutor.
- We attempt to match all requests but we cannot gaurantee that we will have a tutor for all subjects.
- All tutoring seesions must be held on the WSU campus at the Shocker Learning Center (LH 107)
- Tutoring sessions are limited to 60 minutes. Student may not scheudle back-to-back sessions, nor may they schedule more than three sessions each week in one subject or more than five seesion each week in all subjects combined.
- If your cours has Supplemental Instruction you WILL be referred to you SI session and you SI leader for assistance. If you are unable to attend your sessions or your SI leaders' office hours, your SI leader will attempt to find a time to meet with you. If you and you SI leader are unable to find a time to meet, you will be assigned a tutor.
- We do not tutor Engineering courses. Please refer to GEEKS and the Engineering Student SUccess Center for assistance with all Engingeering courses.
If there is a legitimate reason that a existing academic resource(s) will not work for you, please explain in the notes section of your request and your request will be considered.
To apply for a tutor:
- Login to your myWSU
- Click on the Request A Tutor link under the Student Tools section
- Click on the blue bar that says GET ASSISTANCE
- Follow the steps
- You will recieve a response within 48 hours with further information
*If you need assistance please stop by Lindquist Hall 107
About our Peer Tutoring Program
The Office of Student Success offers FREE one-on-one, drop-in and small group tutoring for:
- currently enrolled WSU undergraduate students
- undergraduate general education courses that are NOT already supported by existing university resources
About our Peer Tutors
Tutoring is provided by trained peer tutors who assist students in:
- strengthening their understanding of class materials
- comprehending the textbook
- organizing assignments
- improving general learning and study skills
In addition to tutors, the Office of Student Success has Success Coaches. Unlike tutors, coaches do not provide subject-specific explanations of content or assistance with homework.
Our Success Coaches are here to help students define, clarify, and achieve their academic goals. They can assist with the following:
- Time management
- Study skills
- Goal setting and planning
- Organizing assignments and notes
- Identifying and eliminating barriers to success
- Improving course performance
- Referrals to campus resources
- Test taking skills
Call 316-461-3023 to schedule an appointment! Walk-in appointments are welcome Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.
If there is an existing campus resource for the course(s) you are seeking tutoring or if your course offers Supplemental Instruction, you WILL be directed to the resource(s) first.
Guidelines: Dos and Don'ts
The best way to guarantee you get the help you need is to reach out early. In order for tutoring to be successful and work for you, review our tutoring guidelines.